Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Cutting Linear Motion Shaft Without Distorttion

"Cross-Slide" wrote in message
On Dec 6, 2:31 am, "Bob La Londe" wrote:
Not sure if its even an issue, but I was wondering if I cut a 1"
precision
linear shaft with something like a chop saw if I would distort and ruin a
portion of it from the heat. If in doubt use the hacksaw I suppose.

I need two 20" pieces, but the best price I found was for a single 63"
piece. I suppose I could also just cut them a little bit long and let
them
stick out on the open end.

Are you planning to run the bearings ALL the way to the end?
You will not likely run into the very end that was cut off if you have
any margin in the design.

I have plenty of room for margin. About an inch of both ends goes in the
clamps, and I could always leave the HAZ beyond the clamps on the motor end.
I have plenty of room between them for the motor mount.