Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Cutting Linear Motion Shaft Without Distorttion

"Bob La Londe" wrote in message
Not sure if its even an issue, but I was wondering if I cut a 1" precision
linear shaft with something like a chop saw if I would distort and ruin a
portion of it from the heat. If in doubt use the hacksaw I suppose.

I need two 20" pieces, but the best price I found was for a single 63"
piece. I suppose I could also just cut them a little bit long and let
them stick out on the open end.

A "Thompson" shaft is case hardened so I grind a groove about 1/8" deep all
around with a cut-off wheel on a bench grinder and bandsaw cut through the
soft core. The HAZ is small enough that even a quick whack on a big chop
saw won't hurt it.