Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Cutting Linear Motion Shaft Without Distorttion

On Mon, 6 Dec 2010 01:31:25 -0700, "Bob La Londe"
wrote:

Not sure if its even an issue, but I was wondering if I cut a 1" precision
linear shaft with something like a chop saw if I would distort and ruin a
portion of it from the heat. If in doubt use the hacksaw I suppose.

I need two 20" pieces, but the best price I found was for a single 63"
piece. I suppose I could also just cut them a little bit long and let them
stick out on the open end.

You will be fine. I do it regularly. The HAZ is only a 1/4" or
so..maybe 3/16 at most unless you grind your way through as slowly as
you can.

Just wack the ways out and get on with it.

Gunner

--
"Confiscating wealth from those who have earned it, inherited it,
or got lucky is never going to help 'the poor.' Poverty isn't