Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM[_3_] RBM[_3_] is offline

Default Do I really need 200 A main service?

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message

"RBM" wrote
Wow, that's pretty funny. Of all the reasons one might find to upgrade an
electric service, "electric vehicles are on the way", is certainly not
one I would have thought of. I suppose with the new "Volt" coming out
with it's revolutionary 40 miles (best case scenario) on a charge, people
will be just tripping over each other to buy one. We electricians will be
backlogged for the next ten years trying to upgrade everyone's service to
accommodate these technological wonders.

Funny today, maybe no so ten years from now. I read that California is
installing thousands of charging stations now. That is keeping some
electricians busy.

I'd put one in if I was buying a Tesla. You won't catch me driving a
Volt even though the payback is a mere 18 years or so.

I think you hit the nail on the head. California is just putting more nails
in their financial coffin, but for those of us living in the real world, the
volt is a POS, and we can't afford the Tesla. I don't think I'll have to
worry about installing piles of electric car outlets for a while yet