Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM[_3_] RBM[_3_] is offline

Default Do I really need 200 A main service?

"Bill" wrote in message
"ls02" wrote in message
I am building an addition to my house and thought of upgrading my 150

In general, if you are not tripping your main breaker, then you don't need
more capacity, but...

If you need to replace the main panel, then I would suggest upgrading to
200 amps. The reason being that electric vehicles are on the way. These
can draw upwards of 70 amps while recharging.

If you don't need to replace the main panel for the room addition, then no
reason to upgrade now. You could always do that later if necessary.

Also another way to look at it. Inflation. Cheaper to do things now than
10 years from now... But also factor in interest if you need to borrow
money to do this. Might be less expensive to do it later at a higher cost
when you can pay cash.

Wow, that's pretty funny. Of all the reasons one might find to upgrade an
electric service, "electric vehicles are on the way", is certainly not one I
would have thought of. I suppose with the new "Volt" coming out with it's
revolutionary 40 miles (best case scenario) on a charge, people will be just
tripping over each other to buy one. We electricians will be backlogged for
the next ten years trying to upgrade everyone's service to accommodate these
technological wonders.