Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob Villa Bob Villa is offline

Default Do I really need 200 A main service?

On Dec 5, 7:32*am, ls02 wrote:
I am building an addition to my house and thought of upgrading my 150
A service and panel to 200 A. However after weighing the cost (upward
of $1500 in my area) and benefit I started having second thoughts. My
150 A service and panel are relatively new, 8 years old.

The house after addition is completed will be around 3500 sf plus
finished basement.

I have gas oven, gas furnace, gas water heater and gas dryer in my
house. I have a workshop with 50 A sub panel, I will have second
central A/C installed, the sauna with heater and potentially steam
shower. Both central A/C use 40 A breakers @ 220V (the second , sauna
heater will draw max 25A @ 220 V and the steam generator will draw 35
A @ 220 V. Besides this I do not have anything special from electric
load perspective.

Is 150 A service and panel enough to service my load or I really need
200 A upgrade?

You could get by...most likely. But I doubt anyone would recommend it!