Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Billiard table cushion problem solved (metal related)

On Sat, 4 Dec 2010 19:03:23 -0800, "Steve B"
wrote:

"Ivan Vegvary" wrote in message
On Dec 2, 3:53 am, "Steve Lusardi" wrote:
Ivan,
A very interesting story. So as a result, I assume you now know the
correct point of intersection of the cushion on the ball's
hemisphere. I assume that point to be just above center, but I really
don't know. Could you please tell us?
Steve

Regulation balls are 2-1/4" high. Regulation rails should be set at
62-1/2% ± 1% of ball hight. That translates to approximately 1-3/8
inches.
Obviously, a center-ball rail height would give the optimum rebound.
Below center would send balls flying off the table. Above center
captures the balls (they get wedged under) for an instant before
rebound.
Since I play more of a 'finesse' game (14-1, or straight billiards) I
rarely have occasion to slam the ball and send it off the table. In
fact, since the rebound is better, all my shots can be made with a
softer stroke.

Happy holidays!!
Ivan Vegvary

Thanks for the info. I have wondered if mine was right, and now I know how
to check. I moved it once, and it was not that difficult. But I've been
wondering about the cushions and how bouncy they are compared to others. I
need to make a ramp, like you did, and compare some tables. I also need to
recover it soon. I used to think green was the only color for felt, but the
burgundy goes better with our color scheme, so may go burgundy again. Going
to select a high quality felt, too.

Steve

Just never use yellow or any light color for table cover.

It will drive you nuts and **** up your game big time.

One of the effects is on depth perception.......

--
"Confiscating wealth from those who have earned it, inherited it,
or got lucky is never going to help 'the poor.' Poverty isn't