Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
RS at work RS at work is offline

Default New Shop, New Workbench

Pete Keillor wrote:
My new shop is finally approaching completion. It's fairly small, 15'
x 22', so I want to keep the space as flexible as possible. I have
room for about an 8' bench on one long wall. The machine tools will
line the other, mill in corner, lathe, shaper, drill press. The arbor
press, machinist's vise, and tool grinder will be on pedestals. My
use is modelling, gun work, reloading, and possibly a small wooden
boat build when funds permit.

Initially, I was thinking of a wooden bench anchored to the wall. Now,
I'm considering a combo affair, basically a heavy welding table on
casters (picked up 4 1200# swivel casters for $30 from next door
neighbor). The bottom frame would be open on one side for sitting on
a stool at the bench. I'd set the height to take 3/4 ply on top for
regular bench use, and a detachable 2"x10" or so with presses attached
for reloading use. The table will roll to the wall and mate with a
2"x6" or so lag bolted to the wall studs. I'll figure out a
relatively quick way to attach, maybe a few threaded inserts and
bolts. If I start building a boat, I'll just roll the thing outside.
Same for welding, except maybe for tig.

Anybody got any ideas or comments? I appreciate the group's input.

Pete Keillor

OK here are my thoughts. Since your shop is small and you multi task,
your workbench should definitely be on wheels. Since you sometimes
weld, you might make provisions for part of the top to be
conductive.

You might be able to design a table that has three sections. Picture
a table that has a center about 18" wide and 8' long. This section is
for things like toolboxes, collet racks and perhaps your reloading
presses. On either side of the center have a 2' X 8' section that can
when necessary be detached and folded giving your table in the stowed
configuration a footprint of about 20-22" X 8'.

When doing the reloading the presses can be relocated to the outboard
section and you will have knee space under the bench, while on the
other side you can have your machining project and tools laid out.

The disadvantage to this design is if you need a large flat area for
gluing up cabinets or something, but then you could take the two 2' X
8' sections and set them up on saw horses.

What I really like about this design is that the center section is
always there for the permanent "bench clutter". My observation is
that a 2-foot wide bench against a wall always accumulates clutter on
the back edge and forces you to work really close to the front edge.
The only time a 2-foot bench really works out is if it not used to sit
or stand at to work. To sit or stand and work 3 feet is minimum and 4
feet is better.

For your legs, I would build a square tube frame for the center
section and have foldable trestle legs that could support the outside
sections when in use to prevent tipping. Alternatively you could use
card table legs to support the outside segments but I like the trestle
legs better.

Roger Shoaf