Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default New Shop, New Workbench

My new shop is finally approaching completion. It's fairly small, 15'
x 22', so I want to keep the space as flexible as possible. I have
room for about an 8' bench on one long wall. The machine tools will
line the other, mill in corner, lathe, shaper, drill press. The arbor
press, machinist's vise, and tool grinder will be on pedestals. My
use is modelling, gun work, reloading, and possibly a small wooden
boat build when funds permit.

Initially, I was thinking of a wooden bench anchored to the wall. Now,
I'm considering a combo affair, basically a heavy welding table on
casters (picked up 4 1200# swivel casters for $30 from next door
neighbor). The bottom frame would be open on one side for sitting on
a stool at the bench. I'd set the height to take 3/4 ply on top for
regular bench use, and a detachable 2"x10" or so with presses attached
for reloading use. The table will roll to the wall and mate with a
2"x6" or so lag bolted to the wall studs. I'll figure out a
relatively quick way to attach, maybe a few threaded inserts and
bolts. If I start building a boat, I'll just roll the thing outside.
Same for welding, except maybe for tig.

Anybody got any ideas or comments? I appreciate the group's input.

Pete Keillor
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Pete Keillor wrote:

My new shop is finally approaching completion. It's fairly small, 15'
x 22', so I want to keep the space as flexible as possible. I have
room for about an 8' bench on one long wall. The machine tools will
line the other, mill in corner, lathe, shaper, drill press. The arbor
press, machinist's vise, and tool grinder will be on pedestals. My
use is modelling, gun work, reloading, and possibly a small wooden
boat build when funds permit.

If you have limited space and have a mill, loose the drill press as it's
redundant to the mill. I have two mills and no drill press.

Initially, I was thinking of a wooden bench anchored to the wall. Now,
I'm considering a combo affair, basically a heavy welding table on
casters (picked up 4 1200# swivel casters for $30 from next door
neighbor). The bottom frame would be open on one side for sitting on
a stool at the bench. I'd set the height to take 3/4 ply on top for
regular bench use, and a detachable 2"x10" or so with presses attached
for reloading use. The table will roll to the wall and mate with a
2"x6" or so lag bolted to the wall studs. I'll figure out a
relatively quick way to attach, maybe a few threaded inserts and
bolts. If I start building a boat, I'll just roll the thing outside.
Same for welding, except maybe for tig.

In my shop I have a 4'x6' work table which is built on a power
adjustable height base (1,000# cap) that I found used for $50, and I
added good double locking swivel casters to.

The top is two layers of 3/4" ply fully glued together. The top surface
is basic laminate and easy to replace when it gets sufficiently beat to
death. The edging is 1x3 oak which is screwed on for easy removal if
replacing laminate.

I use this table for all manner of shop work, including TIG welding.
When TIG welding I occasionally pop a little bubble in the laminate, but
a quick pass with a carbide scraper later removes the bump and the
surface is still plenty useable.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Pete C." wrote:

Pete Keillor wrote:

[...]

FYI, my shop is roughly 22'x35' so it's not huge either.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 02 Dec 2010 09:03:47 -0600, Pete Keillor
wrote:

[...]

My last shop was 20' X 15' and I put the workbench "operating table"
right in the middle and had machines all the way around the walls and
the mill at the end of the table.

Now the shop is 40' X 42' and 75% of the machines fit along one wall.
There is a half circle gantry centered on that wall and the 4' X 6'
operating table towards one end and just inside of the 20' radius so
that heavy parts can be placed. I had all kinds of grief getting
people to help lift parts, fix it and then back to finding people, but
no more. Well,kinda, soon.

Matter of fact I just replaced the top of the work bench (BTW never
had a work bench attached to the wall.), it was 4' X 5' and had a trim
board around it that was raised maybe 1/4" higher than the surface
which was ahhh hard board. I replaced it with 3/4" plywood and then
3/4" oak and maple flooring fastened with 2" brads and 16 oz.s of wood
glue. Was looking today at some 1/2" X 1.5" maple trim wow $1 a foot.
Best go right back to free and planing oak. Oh, the flooring was free,
they burn it for heat. I shake my head at the oak & maple I burn.

I was about to drill holes through it for a vice and somehow JB or
something the nuts on the underside so that I can take it off quick
cause I like being able to put say a piece of plywood on top of the
bench.

The other 4' X 5' top I need to figure out and put on casters, someday
when I make more room. I still think it is weird that where I use to
be I'd own most of the block.

SW
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Solid core doors from an office building make great work benches.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Pete Keillor wrote:
[...]

OK here are my thoughts. Since your shop is small and you multi task,
your workbench should definitely be on wheels. Since you sometimes
weld, you might make provisions for part of the top to be
conductive.

You might be able to design a table that has three sections. Picture
a table that has a center about 18" wide and 8' long. This section is
for things like toolboxes, collet racks and perhaps your reloading
presses. On either side of the center have a 2' X 8' section that can
when necessary be detached and folded giving your table in the stowed
configuration a footprint of about 20-22" X 8'.

When doing the reloading the presses can be relocated to the outboard
section and you will have knee space under the bench, while on the
other side you can have your machining project and tools laid out.

The disadvantage to this design is if you need a large flat area for
gluing up cabinets or something, but then you could take the two 2' X
8' sections and set them up on saw horses.

What I really like about this design is that the center section is
always there for the permanent "bench clutter". My observation is
that a 2-foot wide bench against a wall always accumulates clutter on
the back edge and forces you to work really close to the front edge.
The only time a 2-foot bench really works out is if it not used to sit
or stand at to work. To sit or stand and work 3 feet is minimum and 4
feet is better.

For your legs, I would build a square tube frame for the center
section and have foldable trestle legs that could support the outside
sections when in use to prevent tipping. Alternatively you could use
card table legs to support the outside segments but I like the trestle
legs better.

Roger Shoaf
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

I had to fit my workshop into a odd-shaped double garage. Odd-shaped
because the previous house owner built an office which juts out into
the garage.

When I retired I managed to sell most of my office furniture with the
exception of a couple of desks. The first one formed the top of my
first workbench which I supported with 2x4 legs and attached to the
wall. This I never regretted. I had to design the bench carefully
because it fitted around a set of drawers which my wife no longer
wanted and a metal cabinet on wheels which can come out from under the
bench.

I then built a bunch of moveable tables to support my mitre saw (which
also props a foldable router table when in use), a "chemical platform"
(don't ask!), a stand for the wood-lathe (this was originally a
home-made lathe which I simply adapted) and a grinding station with a
belt sander and a bench grinder (based on a metal Canadian tire tool
stand).

When I bought my 9x20 lathe it came with a "stand". This was too
useless to believe! I thus extended my wall-mounted bench using a 3/4"
plywood top with some more 2x4 legs carefully fitted around the drawer
portion of the second of my office desks. This is also attached to the
wall.

The Chinese lathe "stand" was then incorporated into a small wall-
mounted bench next to our freezer which supports an additional bench
grinder.

In summary, the heavy stuff (9x20, mill, pedestal drill press) is
fixed, the rest is almost entirely all on wheels. So far it has been
working fine. I am running out of storage space as well as wall space
but I have some ideas. Garage sale filing cabinets have been a boon
(one of them is sitting on a wheelbase which cost 8x the cost of the
cabinet).

I had a look at my flickr page but the pics do not really tell the
story. If you really want I can add some to give you an idea.

Michael Koblic,
Campbell River, BC
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

My new shop is finally approaching completion. It's fairly small, 15'
x 22', so I want to keep the space as flexible as possible. I have
room for about an 8' bench on one long wall.

snip
[...]

Thanks for the input, everybody.

I won't put a fixed bench in the middle of a small shop again. I
had a 4'x8' bench in the middle of my last, and it was a pain. That's
why I'm leaning toward rolling. Attaching to the wall is primarily
for reloading duty. Wheel brakes ain't going to cut it when operating
a progressive or resizing rifle brass.

The only problem with the welding table with ply on top idea so far is
the weight. With a 2.5'x8'x1/2" top and 2" square frame, the thing
will weigh 5-600 lb, depending on design and gauge for the frame.
That's a lot to shove over a threshold. However, I moved the mill and
lathe into the shop yesterday using a pallet jack, so it's doable.
Some small wooden ramps to ease the transition would help, too.

Possible use or storage outside does mean I need to make the bottom
open on one side, and make any under bench storage roll in and out on
its own casters. I'm not going to want to take the storage outside as
well.

Thanks again for the thoughts. About time to start drawing this up
and give the steel guy a call.

Pete Keillor
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Pete Keillor wrote:

Thanks for the input, everybody.

I won't put a fixed bench in the middle of a small shop again. I
had a 4'x8' bench in the middle of my last, and it was a pain. That's
why I'm leaning toward rolling. Attaching to the wall is primarily
for reloading duty. Wheel brakes ain't going to cut it when operating
a progressive or resizing rifle brass.

Please note that I indicated "double locking swivel casters", these lock
both wheel rotation as well as the wheel swivel and are quite stable
when all four are locked and your beating on stuff on the table.

I have a progressive press as well (RCBS) and while it's on a separate
bench in the house, I'm quite sure it would operate just fine on my shop
bench.

The only problem with the welding table with ply on top idea so far is
the weight. With a 2.5'x8'x1/2" top and 2" square frame, the thing
will weigh 5-600 lb, depending on design and gauge for the frame.
That's a lot to shove over a threshold. However, I moved the mill and
lathe into the shop yesterday using a pallet jack, so it's doable.
Some small wooden ramps to ease the transition would help, too.

My 4x6 table with power height adjust is probably not more than 300# and
can lift 1,000#. It's quite easy to lift an end to roll it over an
obstacle.