Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Wild_Bill Wild_Bill is offline

Default SS couplings

I was also thinking of O-ring sealing couplers, not necessarily Swagelock
fittings, but SS fittings that utilize o-rings.

I've used fittings that adapt to sections of line/tubing which use synthetic
inserts that lock onto the tubing as the fitting nut is tightened, in fairly
low pressure applications. The fittings were fairly commonly used on some
production equipment from European countries.

Contacting Swagelock, or some research may lead to the discovery that there
are existing synthetic inserts for S-L fittings.. so no dissimilar metals or
corrosion problems.

--
WB

"whit3rd" wrote in message

Swagelok isn't tolerant of tubing size variation; it has to be
the AISI standard 1/2" O.D. tube to work. Any dissimilar metal
(and brass/stainless qualifies) is a no-no for contact with
brewed products for human consumption. It's likely that
the required ferrule force won't happen with brass parts anyhow.

There are quick-clamp flanges that can be welded to SS tubing,
and lots of support (valves already flanged) so you could make
up your systems to be easily cleanable. An O-ring seal is reliable
at low pressures.