Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default SS couplings

I got a bunch of 1/2" or so SS tubing that I want to use with my brewing
equipment. Anyone got any Swagelocks for said tubing? Does one need to use
SS, or can regular brass work?

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Steve B" wrote in message
I got a bunch of 1/2" or so SS tubing that I want to use with my brewing
equipment. Anyone got any Swagelocks for said tubing? Does one need to
use SS, or can regular brass work?

Steve

Steve, I don't know what pressure you will have in the tubing but brass
fittings (olives) will not bite into the stainless tube. You can use
stainless fittings on copper tube but not the other way around. If your
pressure / safety issues are low then brass on stainless will probably be
ok.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Dennis" wrote in message
. au...

"Steve B" wrote in message
I got a bunch of 1/2" or so SS tubing that I want to use with my brewing
equipment. Anyone got any Swagelocks for said tubing? Does one need to
use SS, or can regular brass work?

Steve

Steve, I don't know what pressure you will have in the tubing but brass
fittings (olives) will not bite into the stainless tube. You can use
stainless fittings on copper tube but not the other way around. If your
pressure / safety issues are low then brass on stainless will probably be
ok.

It will be very low pressure, just enough to pump beer and water. I was
wanting to use the SS lines for sanitary reasons.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article ,
"Steve B" wrote:

"Dennis" wrote in message
. au...

"Steve B" wrote in message
I got a bunch of 1/2" or so SS tubing that I want to use with my brewing
equipment. Anyone got any Swagelocks for said tubing? Does one need to
use SS, or can regular brass work?

Steve

Steve, I don't know what pressure you will have in the tubing but brass
fittings (olives) will not bite into the stainless tube. You can use
stainless fittings on copper tube but not the other way around. If your
pressure / safety issues are low then brass on stainless will probably be
ok.

It will be very low pressure, just enough to pump beer and water. I was
wanting to use the SS lines for sanitary reasons.

I don't know for sure, but I would worry that electrolytic corrosion,
even if too slow to matter for mechanical reasons, would cause a bad
taste in the beer.

Joe Gwinn
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

--Swageloc fittings are hella expensive; if you can, weld the joints
and you'll save a bundle. Weld-on couplings are relatively cheap.

--
"Steamboat Ed" Haas : Time flies like an arrow
Hacking the Trailing Edge! : Fruit flies like a banana

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 01 Dec 2010 08:46:07 -0500, Joseph Gwinn
wrote:

a bad taste in the beer.

Isn't that redundant?

LJ--who realizes that Coors almost went tits-up when LJ quit drinking.

--
Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"steamer" wrote in message
--Swageloc fittings are hella expensive; if you can, weld the joints
and you'll save a bundle. Weld-on couplings are relatively cheap.

For what I want to do, a good tubing bender, and short lengths of food grade
hose with hose clamps would do it. Probably the best for sterilizing,
anyway.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I got a bunch of 1/2" or so SS tubing that I want to use with my brewing
equipment. Anyone got any Swagelocks for said tubing? Does one need to use
SS, or can regular brass work?

Swagelok isn't tolerant of tubing size variation; it has to be
the AISI standard 1/2" O.D. tube to work. Any dissimilar metal
(and brass/stainless qualifies) is a no-no for contact with
brewed products for human consumption. It's likely that
the required ferrule force won't happen with brass parts anyhow.

There are quick-clamp flanges that can be welded to SS tubing,
and lots of support (valves already flanged) so you could make
up your systems to be easily cleanable. An O-ring seal is reliable
at low pressures.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I was also thinking of O-ring sealing couplers, not necessarily Swagelock
fittings, but SS fittings that utilize o-rings.

I've used fittings that adapt to sections of line/tubing which use synthetic
inserts that lock onto the tubing as the fitting nut is tightened, in fairly
low pressure applications. The fittings were fairly commonly used on some
production equipment from European countries.

Contacting Swagelock, or some research may lead to the discovery that there
are existing synthetic inserts for S-L fittings.. so no dissimilar metals or
corrosion problems.

--
WB