Posted to alt.home.repair

Default 1000 watt generator enough for a typical refrigerator?

On Nov 30, 10:55*am, "A. Baum" wrote:
On Tue, 30 Nov 2010 05:53:35 -0800, ransley wrote:
1800W 16 cu ft , *I say BS.

I would agree with that being schooled in repair of cooling /
refrigeration my educated guess would be 8 amps startup and about 3 -5
running.

I would agree with you two gentlemen as well. So does "generator
joe".

http://www.generatorjoe.net/html/startingload.html

Scan down to the refrigerator section. It shows a typical fridge
pulling 13 amps for .1 secs at startup, then declining rapidly to
close to it's 3 amp running current by .5 secs. In other words,
while it does take a hefty current of 4X, it only lasts a half
second. In fact, that fridge graph shows that the current is within
the 1000W generator rating in a quarter of a second.

While we don't know for sure, it sounds like that generator is rated
at 1000W operating. If so, one would think that it should be able to
supply 50% more current for a quarter of a second.

The other issue is if it's an automatic defrost model, you have the
defrost heater current when it comes on. According to Wikipedia,
that's about 400W.

As usual, Google is your friend.

The only thing that doesn't make sense to me is in that same link
above, they have a chart of starting WATTS vs running for a variety of
motors, including refrigerators. On that chart, it shows the
starting watts of all the motors to be only marginally higher than the
running watts. Yet, their chart in amps for the fridge and various
other motors, shows the amps being way higher, which I think we all
agree is the correct picture. The only two things I can think of to
account for this apparent disparity is:

1 - They probably measured the starting Watts over some more
substantial time period, ie 1 sec.

2 - Part of it is that because of reactance the voltage and current
are not in phase.