Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How Do You "TIN" a soldering iron?

On Thu, 02 Dec 2010 01:43:38 -0500, Jeff Thies wrote:

On 12/1/2010 5:56 PM, wrote:
On Wed, 01 Dec 2010 10:15:47 -0500, Jeff
wrote:

On 11/29/2010 12:26 AM,
wrote:
How do you know when your soldering iron is tinned?
I keep mine plugged in for 5-10 minutes then when I try tin it, the
solder beads up and just drips offs. It doesn't seem to "wet" the
tip.
Is it suppose to wet the tip of the soldering iron?

I'm using non lead solder, 95%Sn, 5% Sb (Tin/Antimony).
Rosin core.

This is plumbing solder, get some designed for electrical. Something
fairly small. 60/40 tin/lead (or is it the other way). Use the right
solder for the application.

Not necessarily true - the lead free solder madness has hit
electronics like a frieght train.

Lovely. Looks like I got out of the repair business in time.

Lead-free solder isn't required in the US, yet. There is still plenty of
leaded stuff around.

ROSIN CORE solder is NOT plumbing
solder.

You are right, I missed that.

If you have trouble tinning it is either because you can't get the
solder hot enough or the tip is not clean enough. Sounds to me that you
are using the wrong solder, too large and wrong type.

Lead free electronic solder is a royal pain - period.

I imagine!

The big problem is that it's impossible to tell if the joint is good. They
all look cold. It's a good excuse to get our technician to do all my
soldering now. ;-)
snip