Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Pete C. Pete C. is offline

Default New Shop, New Workbench

"Pete C." wrote:

Pete Keillor wrote:

My new shop is finally approaching completion. It's fairly small, 15'
x 22', so I want to keep the space as flexible as possible. I have
room for about an 8' bench on one long wall. The machine tools will
line the other, mill in corner, lathe, shaper, drill press. The arbor
press, machinist's vise, and tool grinder will be on pedestals. My
use is modelling, gun work, reloading, and possibly a small wooden
boat build when funds permit.

If you have limited space and have a mill, loose the drill press as it's
redundant to the mill. I have two mills and no drill press.

Initially, I was thinking of a wooden bench anchored to the wall. Now,
I'm considering a combo affair, basically a heavy welding table on
casters (picked up 4 1200# swivel casters for $30 from next door
neighbor). The bottom frame would be open on one side for sitting on
a stool at the bench. I'd set the height to take 3/4 ply on top for
regular bench use, and a detachable 2"x10" or so with presses attached
for reloading use. The table will roll to the wall and mate with a
2"x6" or so lag bolted to the wall studs. I'll figure out a
relatively quick way to attach, maybe a few threaded inserts and
bolts. If I start building a boat, I'll just roll the thing outside.
Same for welding, except maybe for tig.

In my shop I have a 4'x6' work table which is built on a power
adjustable height base (1,000# cap) that I found used for $50, and I
added good double locking swivel casters to.

The top is two layers of 3/4" ply fully glued together. The top surface
is basic laminate and easy to replace when it gets sufficiently beat to
death. The edging is 1x3 oak which is screwed on for easy removal if
replacing laminate.

I use this table for all manner of shop work, including TIG welding.
When TIG welding I occasionally pop a little bubble in the laminate, but
a quick pass with a carbide scraper later removes the bump and the
surface is still plenty useable.

FYI, my shop is roughly 22'x35' so it's not huge either.