Posted to alt.home.repair
Jeff Thies Jeff Thies is offline

Default How Do You "TIN" a soldering iron?

On 11/29/2010 9:23 PM, wrote:
On Mon, 29 Nov 2010 17:01:40 -0600, The Daring Dufas
wrote:

On 11/29/2010 9:41 AM, homer wrote:

On Mon, 29 Nov 2010 00:26:05 -0500,
wrote:

snip

That's what the wet sponge is for. A little tray in my 40 year old
Weller temperature controlled soldering station. I have some 40 year
old tips for it that are still working fine. I bought it new and have
replaced a few parts over the years but it ran 8-12 hours a day for
years when I was doing bench work with few problems.

40 seems like a lot, but now that you mention it, those Weller irons are
workhorses. Tips lasted a long long time and you could replace whatever
part needed it. I have some vague memory of needing a new "body" every
dozen years or so. Never had more than a WP25, maybe the temp control
lasted longer! The Ungars were terrible.

Jeff

http://www.action-electronics.com/pd...ntechsheet.pdf

TDD