Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Dang! I still can do it! G

My R2E4 refused to enter the local editor today.

I could type commands, and see them executed on the main console screen,
but NADA on my terminal. (Well... THAT's not right!)

I have schematics for an earlier machine, and as far as I can tell, those
seem to be the only ones still available. So, trouble-shooting started
with finding out that the RS232 ports DON'T come out the EAF board like
they used to.

I finally tracked the failing port to the BSP board. This sucker has 121
ICs on it, and is the typical "big board" product of the '80s.

1488 output driver... that has to be it. I _actually_ had one in my junk
box, but swapping it gave nothing (it was socketed, so no big deal).

Checked the input to it while streaming data. No toggle.

Checked the output of the UART that drives it -- TOGGLE! Dang!

I finally tracked it down to a broken feedthrough on the board. I
installed the traditional "patch jumper" made of wire-wrap wire, and it
worked.

Dang! After over 20 years off-duty, I can still do it. Now I have to
find a 20-year-old woman, and see if I can still do THAT!

LLoyd