Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Dang! I still can do it! G

My R2E4 refused to enter the local editor today.

I could type commands, and see them executed on the main console screen,
but NADA on my terminal. (Well... THAT's not right!)

I have schematics for an earlier machine, and as far as I can tell, those
seem to be the only ones still available. So, trouble-shooting started
with finding out that the RS232 ports DON'T come out the EAF board like
they used to.

I finally tracked the failing port to the BSP board. This sucker has 121
ICs on it, and is the typical "big board" product of the '80s.

1488 output driver... that has to be it. I _actually_ had one in my junk
box, but swapping it gave nothing (it was socketed, so no big deal).

Checked the input to it while streaming data. No toggle.

Checked the output of the UART that drives it -- TOGGLE! Dang!

I finally tracked it down to a broken feedthrough on the board. I
installed the traditional "patch jumper" made of wire-wrap wire, and it
worked.

Dang! After over 20 years off-duty, I can still do it. Now I have to
find a 20-year-old woman, and see if I can still do THAT!

LLoyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Dec 1, 8:35*pm, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:
[...]

It IS nice to find out, once in a while, that you've still got it.

Bill Cosby said, "Turning forty is seeing a beautiful woman and
wishing you could, but being glad that you can't."
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 01 Dec 2010 19:35:52 -0600, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

Dang! After over 20 years off-duty, I can still do it. Now I have to
find a 20-year-old woman, and see if I can still do THAT!

LLoyd

Hmmm don't get carried away.

db
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 01 Dec 2010 19:35:52 -0600, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

Dang! After over 20 years off-duty, I can still do it. Now I have to
find a 20-year-old woman, and see if I can still do THAT!

LLoyd

Hmmmm don't get carried away.

db
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

rangerssuck wrote:
On Dec 1, 8:35*pm, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"

Dang! *After over 20 years off-duty, I can still do it. *Now I have to
find a 20-year-old woman, and see if I can still do THAT!

It IS nice to find out, once in a while, that you've still got it.

Bill Cosby said, "Turning forty is seeing a beautiful woman and
wishing you could, but being glad that you can't."

He went limp at 40? No wonder he turned into such a judgemental old fart.

Thanks,
Rich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Lloyd E. Sponenburgh wrote:
(...)

Dang! After over 20 years off-duty, I can still do it. Now I have to
find a 20-year-old woman, and see if I can still do THAT!

Just like riding a bicycle. Sort of.

--Winston
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 01 Dec 2010 19:35:52 -0600, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

Dang! After over 20 years off-duty, I can still do it. Now I have to
find a 20-year-old woman, and see if I can still do THAT!

LLoyd

Ol' Son, you are easy prey! Next question: can you afford it?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 01 Dec 2010 19:35:52 -0600, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

My R2E4 refused to enter the local editor today.

Upgrade for R2D2?

--snip--

I finally tracked it down to a broken feedthrough on the board. I
installed the traditional "patch jumper" made of wire-wrap wire, and it
worked.

clap, clap, clap

Dang! After over 20 years off-duty, I can still do it. Now I have to
find a 20-year-old woman, and see if I can still do THAT!

You GO, girl!

--
Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 01 Dec 2010 21:05:07 -0800, Winston
wrote:

Lloyd E. Sponenburgh wrote:
(...)

Dang! After over 20 years off-duty, I can still do it. Now I have to
find a 20-year-old woman, and see if I can still do THAT!

Just like riding a bicycle. Sort of.

Women are MUCH more comfortable and gracious to ride, sir.

--
Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques wrote:
On Wed, 01 Dec 2010 21:05:07 -0800,
wrote:

Lloyd E. Sponenburgh wrote:
(...)

Dang! After over 20 years off-duty, I can still do it. Now I have to
find a 20-year-old woman, and see if I can still do THAT!

Just like riding a bicycle. Sort of.

Women are MUCH more comfortable and gracious to ride, sir.

Amen to that.

--Winston

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I finally tracked it down to a broken feedthrough on the board. I
installed the traditional "patch jumper" made of wire-wrap wire, and it
worked.

Dang! After over 20 years off-duty, I can still do it.

Well, its days are numbered. How many OTHER bad feedthroughs are
lurking in there? Geez, if all the chips are socketed, it is a miracle
it still works at all. Most of this old stuff, the MTBF starts to head
down faster and faster.

I had an Allen-Bradley 7320 control that started to have a lot of
failures, and I was SURE glad to retrofit it with something more
maintainable.

Jon
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-12-02, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:
I agree that this machine needs a retro-fit, I'm just too busy actually
making chips to take it down for now. It's quite reliable.

What sort of stuff do you make Lloyd?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus13150 fired this volley in
:

What sort of stuff do you make Lloyd?

....tools and machinery for manufacturing fireworks.

Much of what I do is simple spindle turning work, but one of the things
the CNC machine excels at is doing simple profiled spindles with the work
in the mill's spindle and the tools hard-mounted to the table.

Another thing for which the machine is indispensible is drilling and
boring "cavity plates" for pressing work. When one must drill (on
accurate centers) and bore 144 holes in a plate, and have them all align
well with 144 pins in another plate, not much else will do. What is a
three day job by hand (and always seems to have one "misfit" pin) is
about a two hour job on the R2E4.

LLoyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques wrote:
On Wed, 01 Dec 2010 19:35:52 -0600, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"

My R2E4 refused to enter the local editor today.

Upgrade for R2D2?
--snip--
I finally tracked it down to a broken feedthrough on the board. I
installed the traditional "patch jumper" made of wire-wrap wire, and it
worked.

clap, clap, clap

Dang! After over 20 years off-duty, I can still do it. Now I have to
find a 20-year-old woman, and see if I can still do THAT!

You GO, girl!

Whittier is LOADED with 20-year old girls, but the problem is they're all
Mexican, and have great big huge fat asses. Sigh.

I wasn't raised a bigot, but those illegal criminal Mexican invaders seem
bound and determined to change my mind there. Another thing I have noticed
is that they're the rudest people I've ever met.

Thanks,
Rich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

My R2E4 refused to enter the local editor today.

I could type commands, and see them executed on the main console screen,
but NADA on my terminal. (Well... THAT's not right!)

I have schematics for an earlier machine, and as far as I can tell, those
seem to be the only ones still available. So, trouble-shooting started
with finding out that the RS232 ports DON'T come out the EAF board like
they used to.

I finally tracked the failing port to the BSP board. This sucker has 121
ICs on it, and is the typical "big board" product of the '80s.

Something that can be repaired if you have access to the components.

1488 output driver... that has to be it. I _actually_ had one in my junk
box, but swapping it gave nothing (it was socketed, so no big deal).

I've replaced one so far in our cnc's at work. I added a socket to make the next time a
bit easier.

Checked the input to it while streaming data. No toggle.

Checked the output of the UART that drives it -- TOGGLE! Dang!

I finally tracked it down to a broken feedthrough on the board. I
installed the traditional "patch jumper" made of wire-wrap wire, and it
worked.

Dang! After over 20 years off-duty, I can still do it. Now I have to
find a 20-year-old woman, and see if I can still do THAT!

Good work on the troubleshooting, as to the latter, it is better to remember the stud you
were than learn about the mature man you are now. VBG

Wes

--

OSHA, reversing evolution since 1970.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 02 Dec 2010 14:05:39 -0800, Rich Grise
wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:
On Wed, 01 Dec 2010 19:35:52 -0600, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"

My R2E4 refused to enter the local editor today.

Upgrade for R2D2?
--snip--
I finally tracked it down to a broken feedthrough on the board. I
installed the traditional "patch jumper" made of wire-wrap wire, and it
worked.

clap, clap, clap

Dang! After over 20 years off-duty, I can still do it. Now I have to
find a 20-year-old woman, and see if I can still do THAT!

You GO, girl!

Whittier is LOADED with 20-year old girls, but the problem is they're all
Mexican, and have great big huge fat asses. Sigh.

For smaller asses, stick with the 13-17 y/o group, ya perv.

I wasn't raised a bigot, but those illegal criminal Mexican invaders seem
bound and determined to change my mind there. Another thing I have noticed
is that they're the rudest people I've ever met.

When I left Vista, it was being thoroughly infiltrated by illegals.
Most were very nice, polite folks and I had no problem whatsoever with
them. The few others cranked up their mariachi music and blasted it
out the windows 24/7 while dressing/acting like gangstas. Had it been
legal, I'd have helped eliminate the pests.

Go, Arizona!

--
"Human nature itself is evermore an advocate for liberty.
There is also in human nature a resentment of injury, and
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-12-02, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:
Ignoramus13150 fired this volley in
:

What sort of stuff do you make Lloyd?

...tools and machinery for manufacturing fireworks.

Much of what I do is simple spindle turning work, but one of the things
the CNC machine excels at is doing simple profiled spindles with the work
in the mill's spindle and the tools hard-mounted to the table.

Another thing for which the machine is indispensible is drilling and
boring "cavity plates" for pressing work. When one must drill (on
accurate centers) and bore 144 holes in a plate, and have them all align
well with 144 pins in another plate, not much else will do. What is a
three day job by hand (and always seems to have one "misfit" pin) is
about a two hour job on the R2E4.

LLoyd

Very nice, I bet the fireworks field requires a lot of knowledge,
physics etc.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus13150 fired this volley in
:

Very nice, I bet the fireworks field requires a lot of knowledge,
physics etc.

Mechanics, Electronics, Physics, Chemistry... All of it.

It's really fun. I tell my wife, "I spent my whole life training for this
job!"

LLoyd

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 02 Dec 2010 22:21:22 -0600, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

Ignoramus13150 fired this volley in
:

Very nice, I bet the fireworks field requires a lot of knowledge,
physics etc.

Mechanics, Electronics, Physics, Chemistry... All of it.

It's really fun. I tell my wife, "I spent my whole life training for this
job!"

Youse guys have left out the basic (and major) benefit of the job:

YOU GET TO BLOW THINGS UP!

How can it get any better?

--
"Human nature itself is evermore an advocate for liberty.
There is also in human nature a resentment of injury, and
indignation against wrong. A love of truth and a veneration
of virtue. These amiable passions, are the latent spark. If
the people are capable of understanding, seeing and feeling
the differences between true and false, right and wrong,
virtue and vice, to what better principle can the friends of
mankind apply than to the sense of this difference?"
--John Adams
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 01 Dec 2010 18:36:39 -0800, Dave B wrote:

On Wed, 01 Dec 2010 19:35:52 -0600, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

Dang! After over 20 years off-duty, I can still do it. Now I have to
find a 20-year-old woman, and see if I can still do THAT!

LLoyd

Hmmm don't get carried away.

db

Lloyd probably can do it.

I found a 50 something lady this past week who was attractive
enough..and hot blooded enough that I was able to do it twice.

And I wasnt worth a **** the next day....zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

But...she was very glad that an old man like me was able to light her
fire more than satisfactorily.
VBG
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Oh..as a passing note..she was far far better than any 20 yr old gal Ive
ever been with. Far far better.
Grin!

Gunner

--
"Confiscating wealth from those who have earned it, inherited it,
or got lucky is never going to help 'the poor.' Poverty isn't

dang fires II jo4hn Woodworking 6 November 6th 07 12:07 AM
Dang! was looking for aluminium The3rd Earl Of Derby UK diy 14 September 1st 06 09:54 PM
Dang! Steve B Metalworking 9 December 27th 05 06:02 PM
Dang, now THAT'S a mortiser! Bruce Adams Woodworking 13 August 13th 05 06:20 AM
OT - Dang Sun. I'm a lobster! Mike W. Woodworking 1 April 10th 05 07:02 PM