Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Question for Iggy

"Ignoramus24652" wrote in message
My opinion only. Buying that Bridgeport Interact mill was NOT due to
my foresight, deep knowledge of CNC, or careful analysis of what
exactly I need. It was more of an element of dumb luck, combined with
an insight that a machine of this size is manageable, yet capable.

Most importantly, I was VERY attracted by the fact that the machine
did not seemingly need any physical retrofit (such as swapping lead
screws for ball screws and other such things). I am now of a very firm
opinion that doing physical retrofits is always suboptimal.

Yeah, and most folks don't get to buy a machine for $500 either. Heck
anything other than full training by the factory service rep who just
installed your brand new $100K machine with tool changer might be considered
suboptimal by some folks. If I had gone that way or anyway other than at
the lowest end I would still be out in the cold as far as making my own
parts.

Knowing what I know now, I personally would stay away from any hobby
machines.

Fair enough, but how long did it take from the time that you bought your
mill until you were CNC cutting parts?