Posted to uk.d-i-y
andrew andrew is offline

Default Cherry picker hire?

On Dec 1, 3:19*pm, "Pete Zahut" wrote:
We have some work to do on the guttering of our house and also next door's
but these are terraced houses and it's at the front, ie, on the street, and
means that the method of access to the gutters has to be movable along the
length of both houses. If we hire some sort of scaffolding or access tower
it means time and effort spent in erecting/taking down the thing and may
make the job span two days, plus we have to get a street permit from the
council ( 23).

So, I was thinking that maybe we could hire one of these van-mounted cherry
picker thingies that you see guys using for street lighting maintenance. We
should be able to park it in the place where I normally park my car and no
time spent erecting/stripping down means that we could get the job done in
the one day - much easier all round.

However, all the hire sites I've looked at so far seem to suggest that you
have to go on a training course before you can use one of these things. The
course (on successful completion) seems to give you a card that lasts for 5
years. In other words, it seems that they are training you for a career in
using elevating platforms and looking towards future employment, which is
obviously no good for someone who wants to hire it for a day while his mate
goes and does some work on the gutters. Have I got this right? Is there
really no way Joe Public can just hire one for a day?

TIA

We used a Genie AWP 30 on a job last year -http://www.genielift.com/ss-
series/ss-1-1.asp

Fairly cheap to hire, quick to setup and move around. Doesn't need a
training course. Ours came from http://www.centralplatformservicesltd.net/Hire.htm

You wouldn't want to use it outside if it's really windy, but it got
up to the gutters on a 4 storey building quite happily.