Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Joseph Gwinn Joseph Gwinn is offline

Default SS couplings

In article ,
"Steve B" wrote:

"Dennis" wrote in message
. au...

"Steve B" wrote in message
I got a bunch of 1/2" or so SS tubing that I want to use with my brewing
equipment. Anyone got any Swagelocks for said tubing? Does one need to
use SS, or can regular brass work?

Steve

Steve, I don't know what pressure you will have in the tubing but brass
fittings (olives) will not bite into the stainless tube. You can use
stainless fittings on copper tube but not the other way around. If your
pressure / safety issues are low then brass on stainless will probably be
ok.

It will be very low pressure, just enough to pump beer and water. I was
wanting to use the SS lines for sanitary reasons.

I don't know for sure, but I would worry that electrolytic corrosion,
even if too slow to matter for mechanical reasons, would cause a bad
taste in the beer.

Joe Gwinn