Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Outside mercury vapor light flickering

"Tekkie®" wrote in message
m...

I have a mercury vapor light that turns itself on/off intermittently at
night.

I called the electrical contractor that installed it and thought I just
needed
the bulb replaced. The owners wife who answers the phone said it could
also be
the ballast.

What are the prices of these parts?

Would it be more economical to have them install a new one?

Any estiguess as to labor time? It's about 15' up so they used a ground
ladder
and one person to install.

When I purchased it from an electrical supply place (as instructed by the
oelec
co owner) I noticed they did not appear to be real durable...

Any ideas as to what a modern alternative would be?

Cold be the ballast. I just ordered part for a metal halide light and paid
$125. It was easier than replacing the entire fixture and save about $60.
Your local electric supply house may have parts or check them out at
www.mcmaster.com