Posted to rec.woodworking
Bill[_37_] Bill[_37_] is offline

Default Amount of lighting

Larry Jaques wrote:
On Tue, 30 Nov 2010 20:19:28 -0500, wrote:

I'd put in lots of light - but "split density" - half of each light,
or every second light, on one switch, the other half on another switch
so you can have enough light to move around and do non-vision-critical
stuff with reduced lighting cost, and full bright light when you need
it.

Yabbut, Bill doesn't want to tear up any fresh drywall and had only
planned on wiring half his shop ceiling to begin with! I'm hoping he
reconsiders both options as absolutely necessary to his eventual
happiness.

Yeah, the lights you suggested today--above the garage door, will
require a separate switch, as well as half of the others new ones (the
way I see it). I'm not afraid of cutting drywall. I'm just not going to
cut it in haste. The more I think about it, the more I think a little
cleverness in using my 1 new lighting cable that I have could go a long
way on this... Maybe the switch that it's on will become a "master"
switch. Unfortunately, my new insulation in the walls makes adding new
wall switches a "pain".

This just reinforces the notion that learning processes like this are
circular in nature.

I just happen to have 3 fluorescent fixtures on short chains (4100K
bulbs, I believe). One of them is portable. In the meantime I may
experiment with different bulbs and see what I can learn about light
density.

Bill