Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking
Doug Winterburn Doug Winterburn is offline

Default Murphy bed finished - File 1 of 2 - yEnc "IMG_2792 [800x600].JPG"322630 bytes (0/1)

On 11/30/2010 08:56 AM, Casper wrote:
Used the Create-a-bed kit from Rockler
Han

Here's a queen size one I finished last year, also using the Rockler
hardware.
Doug Winterburn

Both your beds are great. Beautiful job. I've wanted a murphy bed for
years. Been hoping to get one for my spare room so it can be multiuse.
Hopefully one day, when I have all the tools to build (or buy) one.

Happy Holidays All!
`Casper

As for tools, you can build it with:

- Circular saw
- 4' x 8' styrofoam sheet (to saw on)
- Home made ply saw guide
- several clamps
- your wife's iron (I have my own $10 WalMart shop iron as glue on the
OverLord's would be painful)
- screw drivers
- glue
- tape measure
- drill motor
- drill bits
- hammer
- finish nails
- coarse thread drywall screws
- finishing materials
- edge band trimmer
- pencil or marking knife

Materials (for queen bed and bookcases)

- 5 sheets 3/4" hardwood plywood (bed and bookcases)
- 1 sheet 1/4" hardwood plywood (bookcases backs)
- 2 sheets 1/4" ACX plywood (mattress support)
- 1" x 2" poplar (interior frame)
- various 3/4" hardwood (rear of header, bookcase face frames, base
molding, top cove molding, decorative molding)
- iron on edge banding
- hardware hinges, door pulls and handles
- Create-a-bed kit ($300 from Rockler, but got it on a 20% off for $240)
- light kit(s) (I got the bed kit from Rockler, but no bookcase kits)

For the queen size done in maple - ~$1000 + mattress ($200 - $600
depending on how long you want guests to stay. We bought a 3 day mattress.)

I did a sketchup with cutlist plug-in to get the ply down to 5 sheets
and still had to edge glue one bookcase bottom interior panel.