Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking
Han Han is offline

Default Murphy bed finished - File 1 of 2 - yEnc "IMG_2792 [800x600].JPG" 322630 bytes (0/1)

Used the Create-a-bed kit from Rockler

--
Best regards
Han
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

On 11/27/2010 08:31 AM, Han wrote:
Used the Create-a-bed kit from Rockler

Here's a queen size one I finished last year, also using the Rockler
hardware.

Attached Thumbnails
Murphy bed finished - File 1 of 2 - yEnc "IMG_2792 [800x600].JPG" 322630 bytes  (0/1)-img_2035_sm-jpg  Murphy bed finished - File 1 of 2 - yEnc "IMG_2792 [800x600].JPG" 322630 bytes  (0/1)-img_2036_sm-jpg
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking
Han Han is offline

Doug Winterburn wrote in news:4cf13020$0$18677
:

On 11/27/2010 08:31 AM, Han wrote:
Used the Create-a-bed kit from Rockler

Here's a queen size one I finished last year, also using the Rockler
hardware.

Looks great!

--
Best regards
Han
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Han" wrote in message
Used the Create-a-bed kit from Rockler

--
Best regards
Han
email address is invalid

What a shame many of us will never see it. Why not post in plain JPG?

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

On 11/27/2010 11:24 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

"Han" wrote in message
Used the Create-a-bed kit from Rockler

--
Best regards
Han
email address is invalid

What a shame many of us will never see it. Why not post in plain JPG?

Check here Ed: http://www.delorie.com/wood/abpw/week.html

DJ Delorie archives the photos that come in. (Thanks much DJ!)

....Kevin
--
Kevin Miller - http://www.alaska.net/~atftb
Juneau, Alaska

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking
Han Han is offline

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in
:

"Han" wrote in message
Used the Create-a-bed kit from Rockler

--
Best regards
Han
email address is invalid

What a shame many of us will never see it. Why not post in plain JPG?

Here are the jpgs.

My question: yEnc is REALLY an accepted compression technique. Why are
you not with it?

--
Best regards
Han
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking
Han Han is offline

Default Murphy bed finished - File 1 of 2 - yEnc "IMG_2792 [800x600].JPG" 322630 bytes (0/1) - File 1 of 2 - IMG_2792 [800x600].JPG (1/1)

Attached Thumbnails
Murphy bed finished - File 1 of 2 - yEnc "IMG_2792 [800x600].JPG" 322630 bytes  (0/1)-img_2792-%5B800x600%5D-jpg
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking
Han Han is offline

Default Murphy bed finished - File 1 of 2 - yEnc "IMG_2792 [800x600].JPG" 322630 bytes (0/1) - File 2 of 2 - IMG_2794 [800x600].JPG (1/1)

Attached Thumbnails
Murphy bed finished - File 1 of 2 - yEnc "IMG_2792 [800x600].JPG" 322630 bytes  (0/1)-img_2794-%5B800x600%5D-jpg
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Han" wrote

What a shame many of us will never see it. Why not post in plain JPG?

Here are the jpgs.

My question: yEnc is REALLY an accepted compression technique. Why are
you not with it?

--
Best regards
Han
email address is invalid

Maybe accepted, but not needed. For the few times a year I'd want to look
at something, I'm not going to spend money on a converter. I'd have to
either change newsreaders of spend $10 to $30 for an add on. I'm interested
in seeing your work, but not $20 worth.

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking
Han Han is offline

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in
:

"Han" wrote

What a shame many of us will never see it. Why not post in plain
JPG?

Here are the jpgs.

My question: yEnc is REALLY an accepted compression technique. Why
are you not with it?

--
Best regards
Han
email address is invalid

Maybe accepted, but not needed. For the few times a year I'd want to
look at something, I'm not going to spend money on a converter. I'd
have to either change newsreaders of spend $10 to $30 for an add on.
I'm interested in seeing your work, but not $20 worth.

I don't do WLM if I can avoid it.
Xnews is free, an excellent newsreader, and does yEnc natively.
We have gone over this many times ...

--
Best regards
Han

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Doug Winterburn" wrote in message
eb.com...
On 11/27/2010 08:31 AM, Han wrote:
Used the Create-a-bed kit from Rockler

Here's a queen size one I finished last year, also using the Rockler
hardware.

I have a job to build that style with that hardware after I get moved into
our new shop/house.
I have already designed the unit with a recess in both of the inner side
shelf panels for a clock, book etc., but....

Is there any thing in particular that I should watch out for? I'l be
building for the same size bed also.

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Doug Winterburn" wrote in message
eb.com...
On 11/27/2010 08:31 AM, Han wrote:
Used the Create-a-bed kit from Rockler

Here's a queen size one I finished last year, also using the Rockler
hardware.

;~) BTY that looks very nice.

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Han" wrote
I don't do WLM if I can avoid it.
Xnews is free, an excellent newsreader, and does yEnc natively.
We have gone over this many times ...

--
Best regards
Han
email address is invalid

You say excellent, I think it is a horrid program. Sorry, I'll just pass on
your (or anyone else's) photos if you use yEnc.

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

On 11/28/2010 08:33 AM, Leon wrote:
"Doug wrote in message
eb.com...
On 11/27/2010 08:31 AM, Han wrote:
Used the Create-a-bed kit from Rockler

Here's a queen size one I finished last year, also using the Rockler
hardware.

I have a job to build that style with that hardware after I get moved into
our new shop/house.
I have already designed the unit with a recess in both of the inner side
shelf panels for a clock, book etc., but....

Is there any thing in particular that I should watch out for? I'l be
building for the same size bed also.

Follow the DVD set up instructions for safety reasons. Also, double
check the header position to make sure of clearance of the bed when
folded up. If you are going to install lighting, remember to route out
the grooves in the back edge of the vertical panels to install the lamp
cord. I didn't put any lighting in the bookcases, but if you do, you'll
probably want glass shelves. I also cut out baseboard shapes on the
bottom back edge of all the uprights rather than cut the baseboard.

I built a couple of 2x4 and ply stock holders to help manage all the
parts - pic attached.

Make sure you have a couple of furniture dollys to move the bed frame as
that sucker is heavy - or I'm getting old.

Attached Thumbnails
Murphy bed finished - File 1 of 2 - yEnc "IMG_2792 [800x600].JPG" 322630 bytes  (0/1)-img_1943_sm-jpg
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking
Han Han is offline

"Leon" wrote in
:

"Doug Winterburn" wrote in message
eb.com...
On 11/27/2010 08:31 AM, Han wrote:
Used the Create-a-bed kit from Rockler

Here's a queen size one I finished last year, also using the Rockler
hardware.

I have a job to build that style with that hardware after I get moved
into our new shop/house.
I have already designed the unit with a recess in both of the inner
side shelf panels for a clock, book etc., but....

Is there any thing in particular that I should watch out for? I'l be
building for the same size bed also.

In addition to what Doug said:
I'm a little annoyed with the instructions that said to use hardwood
pieces and some ply but left exposed ply-edges and poplar faces. Next
time I'll pay more attention to exposed edges (even inside edges only
visible when the bed is down) so that they all will be either edges with
oak tape or oak faces.

--
Best regards
Han

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking
Han Han is offline

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in
:

"Han" wrote
I don't do WLM if I can avoid it.
Xnews is free, an excellent newsreader, and does yEnc natively.
We have gone over this many times ...

--
Best regards
Han
email address is invalid

You say excellent, I think it is a horrid program. Sorry, I'll just
pass on your (or anyone else's) photos if you use yEnc.

There are other programs, and just let me know when you want jpgs, like the
ones I have now sent. It isn't too much trouble, but I still don't
understand why you're so set against yEnc.

--
Best regards
Han
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

On 11/28/2010 03:31 AM, Han wrote:

My question: yEnc is REALLY an accepted compression technique. Why are
you not with it?

yEnc is a great technology but is of most value where you have really
large volumes of images. We're lucky to see a dozen posts a day here
and 75% of those are replies. Usually it's less. Many here read the
posts in their mail client such as outlook express which doesn't come
with yEnc. For them, they would have to pay for and install a yEnc
add-on.

On the other hand, anybody can post a non-yEnc jpg here, which everyone
can see. It's a bit of "When in Rome...". In this neighborhood we
don't use it. I use Thunderbird, which can deal wiht them, but I fully
understand that it's not realistic of me to expect others to change
their reader to see my stuff.

If we were seeing hundreds of megs a day (or maybe even dozens) it would
be another story...

....Kevin
--
Kevin Miller - http://www.alaska.net/~atftb
Juneau, Alaska
In a recent survey, 7 out of 10 hard drives preferred Linux
Registered Linux User No: 307357, http://counter.li.org
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Han" wrote
You say excellent, I think it is a horrid program. Sorry, I'll just
pass on your (or anyone else's) photos if you use yEnc.

There are other programs, and just let me know when you want jpgs, like
the
ones I have now sent. It isn't too much trouble, but I still don't
understand why you're so set against yEnc.

I'm not against it, but it has little use in newsgroups. Probably 80% of
the readers cannot see them. If you want people to see your work, it is
better to post in the most common format. If that format helps your home
storage or editing, them it makes sense. Otherwise, I see little value in
it.

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote

"Han" wrote
You say excellent, I think it is a horrid program. Sorry, I'll just
pass on your (or anyone else's) photos if you use yEnc.

There are other programs, and just let me know when you want jpgs, like
the
ones I have now sent. It isn't too much trouble, but I still don't
understand why you're so set against yEnc.

I'm not against it, but it has little use in newsgroups. Probably 80% of
the readers cannot see them. If you want people to see your work, it is
better to post in the most common format. If that format helps your home
storage or editing, them it makes sense. Otherwise, I see little value in
it.

I will add this comment.

I use several computers. Each one of them has some strict guidelines on
which software can be downloaded on them. It is supposed to help with
standardize some things and cut down on spam and malware. Now, it is
debatable if if is all that effective at those tasks. But if I use anything
else on those computers, I don't work. These guidelines apply to my
personal computers as well since I use them for work as well.

And NONE of these machines run this n sync or yEnc or whatever format.
This insistence on being able to run a lot of standard business software
means that I can not see anything in that format. And of the 50 or
computers I am in contact with nobody can use it.

Sooooo....., whatever fantasy anybody has about this crappy format that
breaks up pictures into a bunch of little pieces is, there are a lot of
folks who either can't or won't mess with it.

If I did, or any of the folks who work with me did, we wouldn't have a job.
Call us old fashioned or whatever. But through steps I and other have
taken, we have very little down time from malware, spam, etc.

In fact, the biggest computer problem we have had in the last year was when
some monitor cables started dying. I had to frantically find a few 10 foot
monitor cables locally and ordered a whole bunch more on the net.

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Han" wrote in message
"Leon" wrote in
:

In addition to what Doug said:
I'm a little annoyed with the instructions that said to use hardwood
pieces and some ply but left exposed ply-edges and poplar faces. Next
time I'll pay more attention to exposed edges (even inside edges only
visible when the bed is down) so that they all will be either edges with
oak tape or oak faces.

--
Best regards
Han
email address is invalid

Thanks fot that, IIRC I designed the plywood parts to have a solid wood
frame around them. I'll double check.

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

b.com...
"Doug wrote in message

Follow the DVD set up instructions for safety reasons. Also, double
check the header position to make sure of clearance of the bed when
folded up. If you are going to install lighting, remember to route out
the grooves in the back edge of the vertical panels to install the lamp
cord. I didn't put any lighting in the bookcases, but if you do, you'll
probably want glass shelves. I also cut out baseboard shapes on the
bottom back edge of all the uprights rather than cut the baseboard.

I built a couple of 2x4 and ply stock holders to help manage all the
parts - pic attached.

Make sure you have a couple of furniture dollys to move the bed frame as
that sucker is heavy - or I'm getting old.

THANK YOU!

BTW, the stock holders were helpful when applying the edge banding and
allowing the OverLord to (order me to) place pieces after her job of
staining/finishing.
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking
Han Han is offline

"Leon" wrote in
:

"Han" wrote in message
"Leon" wrote in
:

In addition to what Doug said:
I'm a little annoyed with the instructions that said to use hardwood
pieces and some ply but left exposed ply-edges and poplar faces.
Next time I'll pay more attention to exposed edges (even inside edges
only visible when the bed is down) so that they all will be either
edges with oak tape or oak faces.

Han

Thanks for that, IIRC I designed the plywood parts to have a solid
wood frame around them. I'll double check.

Good idea. Next time, I'll do that too!!

--
Best regards
Han
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

THANK YOU!

BTW, the stock holders were helpful when applying the edge banding and
allowing the OverLord to (order me to) place pieces after her job of
staining/finishing.

I'll keep that in mind. ;~_)

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Used the Create-a-bed kit from Rockler
Han

Nice job on the bed. The chalk board is a nice touch.
`Casper

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Used the Create-a-bed kit from Rockler
Han

Here's a queen size one I finished last year, also using the Rockler
hardware.
Doug Winterburn

Both your beds are great. Beautiful job. I've wanted a murphy bed for
years. Been hoping to get one for my spare room so it can be multiuse.
Hopefully one day, when I have all the tools to build (or buy) one.

Happy Holidays All!
`Casper
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking
Han Han is offline

Casper wrote in
:

Used the Create-a-bed kit from Rockler
Han

Here's a queen size one I finished last year, also using the Rockler
hardware.
Doug Winterburn

Both your beds are great. Beautiful job. I've wanted a murphy bed for
years. Been hoping to get one for my spare room so it can be multiuse.
Hopefully one day, when I have all the tools to build (or buy) one.

Happy Holidays All!
`Casper

I don't think the Create-a-Bed system from (among others) Rockler
requires that much sophisticated tools. One of the requirements I
somewhat struggled with is space. The "holder" that Doug came up with
should help, but still you end up with a bedframe and a bookcase bigger
than it.

Also, for esthetics you need to contemplate edging of the plywood and
other parts where they'll be visible.

--
Best regards
Han
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking
Han Han is offline

Casper wrote in
:

Used the Create-a-bed kit from Rockler
Han

Nice job on the bed. The chalk board is a nice touch.
`Casper

Thanks, it was not my preference but for a 4 year-old it is nice.

--
Best regards
Han
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

On 11/30/2010 08:56 AM, Casper wrote:
Used the Create-a-bed kit from Rockler
Han

Here's a queen size one I finished last year, also using the Rockler
hardware.
Doug Winterburn

Both your beds are great. Beautiful job. I've wanted a murphy bed for
years. Been hoping to get one for my spare room so it can be multiuse.
Hopefully one day, when I have all the tools to build (or buy) one.

Happy Holidays All!
`Casper

As for tools, you can build it with:

- Circular saw
- 4' x 8' styrofoam sheet (to saw on)
- Home made ply saw guide
- several clamps
- your wife's iron (I have my own $10 WalMart shop iron as glue on the
OverLord's would be painful)
- screw drivers
- glue
- tape measure
- drill motor
- drill bits
- hammer
- finish nails
- coarse thread drywall screws
- finishing materials
- edge band trimmer
- pencil or marking knife

Materials (for queen bed and bookcases)

- 5 sheets 3/4" hardwood plywood (bed and bookcases)
- 1 sheet 1/4" hardwood plywood (bookcases backs)
- 2 sheets 1/4" ACX plywood (mattress support)
- 1" x 2" poplar (interior frame)
- various 3/4" hardwood (rear of header, bookcase face frames, base
molding, top cove molding, decorative molding)
- iron on edge banding
- hardware hinges, door pulls and handles
- Create-a-bed kit ($300 from Rockler, but got it on a 20% off for $240)
- light kit(s) (I got the bed kit from Rockler, but no bookcase kits)

For the queen size done in maple - ~$1000 + mattress ($200 - $600
depending on how long you want guests to stay. We bought a 3 day mattress.)

I did a sketchup with cutlist plug-in to get the ply down to 5 sheets
and still had to edge glue one bookcase bottom interior panel.
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Doug Winterburn" wrote in message
eb.com...
On 11/27/2010 08:31 AM, Han wrote:
Used the Create-a-bed kit from Rockler

Here's a queen size one I finished last year, also using the Rockler
hardware.
Thanks Doug, now I can see the photos. QuestionI never had a Murphy bed,
how does the mattress and blankets stay in place when closing the bed??
WW

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

On 12/05/2010 07:56 PM, WW wrote:
"Doug wrote in message
eb.com...
On 11/27/2010 08:31 AM, Han wrote:
Used the Create-a-bed kit from Rockler

Here's a queen size one I finished last year, also using the Rockler
hardware.
Thanks Doug, now I can see the photos. QuestionI never had a Murphy bed,
how does the mattress and blankets stay in place when closing the bed??
WW

The mattress is in a shallow box and has elastic straps at the corners
of the foot to keep it from tilting out when in the upright position.
We keep sheets on the bed, but put blankets and pillows on after it is a
horizontal position.

- Doug
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking
Han Han is offline

Doug Winterburn wrote in
eb.com:

On 12/05/2010 07:56 PM, WW wrote:
"Doug wrote in message
eb.com...
On 11/27/2010 08:31 AM, Han wrote:
Used the Create-a-bed kit from Rockler

Here's a queen size one I finished last year, also using the Rockler
hardware.
Thanks Doug, now I can see the photos. Question :I never had a
Murphy bed, how does the mattress and blankets stay in place when
closing the bed?? WW

The mattress is in a shallow box and has elastic straps at the corners
of the foot to keep it from tilting out when in the upright position.
We keep sheets on the bed, but put blankets and pillows on after it is
a horizontal position.

- Doug

It depends probably on the actual fit of the mattress plus sheets and
blankets in the box, but in our case of a twin bed with its long side
along the wall, everything stays on this child's bed - no problem. The
mattress we bought from IKEA fits snugly enough.

--
Best regards
Han
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Han wrote:

My question: yEnc is REALLY an accepted compression technique.

It shouldn't be. It uses a poorly designed data structure, and a very small
compression advantage.

zero, and remove the last word.

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Maybe accepted, but not needed. For the few times a year I'd want to
look at something, I'm not going to spend money on a converter. I'd
have to either change newsreaders of spend $10 to $30 for an add on.
I'm interested in seeing your work, but not $20 worth.

For the few times I want something in yenc I use the free Grabit to
download. The fact that it displays multi-part messages as a single entity,
and a quick click downloads the file you want, fully compensates for the
need to start up another program, after the one-time server setup. It was
made by a guy who optimized it for his news server to attract customers but
it works with any.

zero, and remove the last word.