Posted to rec.woodworking
[email protected] russellseaton1@yahoo.com is offline

Default Amount of lighting

On Nov 29, 11:14*pm, Larry Jaques
wrote:
On Mon, 29 Nov 2010 21:04:56 -0800, Mike M

wrote:
On Mon, 29 Nov 2010 02:34:08 -0500, Bill wrote:

Concerned that I was getting lazy, I went out and measured my ceiling
joists and other structure carefully and spent my evening with SketchUp!

I am concerned as to how many new 48" (10" wraparound) fixtures to add.
Please see my two jpeg's:

* * * * * * * *http://web.newsguy.com/MySite/

Putting another light above my virtual bench may make good sense.
However, If I regard my bench area as 10' by 8', then my new pics at my
web site already demonstrate 80 ft^2/6 bulbs = 13.3 ft^2 per bulb!
Don't want to blast my self out. *I was thinking of using 32W, 5000K or
6000K fluorescent bulbs.

I would like to try to optimize my lighting? As drawn, the distances of
the lights from the walls are 36" and 24" respectively. *Assume the
walls will be white (for decent reflectivity). The floor is concrete.
I'm going to keep the light in front of the subpanel 36" away from it to
satisfy relevant codes (regarding a "free workspace").

I never did this before and I hope to do it right the first time. *What
would you change?

Thanks,
Bill

Well task lighting is nice but it doesn't make for a nice work
environment. *Get a decent light level for the entire shop then take
on the task lighting.

Don't you feel that NINE dual 4' fluors would decently light up that
20x25' shop space? *If not, fall in behind Lew. *I'm doing OK with 5
of 'em in a 20x24' double car shop (w/ attached home.)

Nine dual 4 foot 40 watt fluorescent fixtures is pretty good. It will
seem pretty bright, but could be better. I would put 12 or 15
fixtures in for overall lighting. The 9 fixtures will not be enough
to really light up the room. You will be able to see everything, but
it won't shine. You would still need task lighting to see. With 12
or better, 15, fixtures, you could eliminate the inconvenience of
turning on and off task lighting every time you move around the work
area. What an inconvenience.

My basement is split into two rooms. One about 19x29 and the other
25x32. About 550 and 800 square feet. The 550 side has 19 two bulb 4
foot 40 watt fluorescent fixtures. About 2.7 watts per square foot.
The 800 side has 18 two bulb 4 foot 40 watt fluorescent fixtures.
About 1.8 watts per square foot. Both rooms are bright. All walls
and floor are painted white. Until now I never realized one side was
so under lit compared to the other side. The way the room is setup
with the furnace and ductwork and supporting beam, I'm not sure I
could have squeezed in another row of lights. So it will have to do.

The question asker has 500 square feet lit by 9 lights so about 1.44
watts per square foot. Good but could easily be better. Your room is
480 square feet lit by 5 fixtures. Only 0.83 watts per square foot.
Not enough.

If the original question asker is putting in lights, I don't
understand why he would not put in plenty of lights. It takes minimal
extra work to install a few more. And if having light bothers you,
its easy to just remove the bulb. Less light, less electricity used,
and you still have the option of putting the bulb back in and getting
adequate light.

--
Happiness comes of the capacity to feel deeply, to enjoy
simply, to think freely, to risk life, to be needed.