Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Metal post

On 11/30/2010 02:18 PM, Steve W. wrote:

Not real hard in a vehicle fire....

Yeah, the old VW microbuses had a magnesium crankcase - or was it
transaxle? I saw one go up, the firemen were just standing around
watching it burn. It started dripping big globs of white-hot metal on
the pavement. Then, another fire department combo truck pulled up and
delivered what seemed to be a tiny liquid-type fire extinguisher. They
sprayed this yellow stuff on the fire, and then two guys with booster
hoses ran up and let it have a blast of water. It was like a 4th of
July ground display, with streamers of white hot metal flying in all
directions. Totally AWESOME, and if these guys didn't have the special
high-temp shielding suits on, they would have been severely burned.

I was amazed at how little damage it did to the pavement, if you didn't
know about the fire, you wouldn't have even noticed the spot.

Jon