Posted to rec.woodworking
Bill[_31_] Bill[_31_] is offline

Default Amount of lighting

On 11/30/2010 2:47 AM, Steve wrote:
wrote in :

Larry Jaques wrote:
On Mon, 29 Nov 2010 21:04:56 -0800, Mike M
wrote:

On Mon, 29 Nov 2010 02:34:08 -0500, wrote:

Concerned that I was getting lazy, I went out and measured my
ceiling joists and other structure carefully and spent my evening
with SketchUp!

I am concerned as to how many new 48" (10" wraparound) fixtures to
add. Please see my two jpeg's:

http://web.newsguy.com/MySite/

Putting another light above my virtual bench may make good sense.
However, If I regard my bench area as 10' by 8', then my new pics
at my web site already demonstrate 80 ft^2/6 bulbs = 13.3 ft^2 per
bulb! Don't want to blast my self out. I was thinking of using
32W, 5000K or 6000K fluorescent bulbs.

I would like to try to optimize my lighting? As drawn, the
distances of the lights from the walls are 36" and 24"
respectively. Assume the walls will be white (for decent
reflectivity). The floor is concrete. I'm going to keep the light
in front of the subpanel 36" away from it to satisfy relevant codes
(regarding a "free workspace").

I never did this before and I hope to do it right the first time.
What would you change?

Thanks,
Bill

Well task lighting is nice but it doesn't make for a nice work
environment. Get a decent light level for the entire shop then take
on the task lighting.

Don't you feel that NINE dual 4' fluors would decently light up that
20x25' shop space? If not, fall in behind Lew. I'm doing OK with 5
of 'em in a 20x24' double car shop (w/ attached home.)

Mine is 20'x 24' too. Almost exactly 1/2 of the ceiling is basically
occupied by the electric "garage door". Although putting lights above
it may be possible, I am not interested in considering it at this
time.
I'll do some more modeling in a few days based upon recent input
folks
have generously provided to me.

Good thoughtful comments on the task lighting above. Not exactly sure
how to take them into consideration, but doing so seems like the right
thing to do. Still homework to do on this..more modeling. One good
thing that is the price of my fixtures may have went down since I set
aside the deluxe wrap-arounds so I should be able to buy a few more.

Bill

Bill,

I have the same situation in my garage/shop with the overhead door.
During the day with the garage door open I get plenty of light through
the opening. But at night and when it is too cool outside to keep the
door open, I have two 2-light 48" florescents over where the door opens.
Sure allows me more room to work with good lighting. Just a thought.
YMMV.

Steve

Nice idea. Sounds like a whole nuther circuit. For me, it will have to
wait until the next round!

Thank you,
Bill