Posted to alt.home.repair

Default 1000 watt generator enough for a typical refrigerator?

I had much the same experience. I saw ETQ online, Ebay. It was about
the same price. I ordered one, and it showed up a couple days later.
The only "real" use I've given mine has been to run a guy's furnace
while his power was off. Big monster of an ancient furnace. The ETQ
did a fine job, ran it with no strain. Mine is also much more quiet
than I'd expected. I've been around other generators which are loud
enough to do hearing damage while they run. The ETQ is quiet enough to
have a conversation, standing next to it. Of course, it's a two
stroke, so you'll need to have gas and oil mixed. The ETQ is light
enough to carry fairly easily, about 55 pounds. I am very pleased with
mine, and hope you are the same. Might be good to have at home, as a
backup in case your bigger generator has a misfunction. In my case,
I'm going to use my ETQ when possible, cause it's light weight, and
quiet. Save the Coleman (about 75 pounds, and larger) for when it's
really needed.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"dgk" wrote in message
news
Thanks to all. Yes, it seems like it won't handle it very well, and I
sure don't want to hurt the fridge. I called Fridgedair and they said
1800 watt minimum.

It was one of my more stupid impluse buys. I checked with Home Depot,
Lowes, the local hardware store, Sears, PC Richard, and Best Buy
before giving up on actually finding a relatively inexpensive ($300)
generator locally.

Then I saw an online ad for a ETQ type cheapo and the reviews said
that it handled a fridge with no problem so I just ordered it ($130).
It's due to arrive tomorrow.

Then, of course, I see that my local National Wholesale Liquidator has
a 3300 watt for $288. Worse, PepBoys has an ad for a 3500 for $240.
Both made in China of course but they certainly look like they'll do
the job. No Honda for sure, but I'm not planning on running it very
often.

So I bought the PepBoys one, and I know that will handle the fridge
and the boiler, which are the two things that I really want it for.
And the computer of course.

Either I return the 1000 or I give it as a gift to folks who go
camping, or maybe I can use it for something else, like lending it to
a neighbor during a blackout. Maybe it will run their fridge.