Posted to alt.home.repair
Hank[_6_] Hank[_6_] is offline

Default How Do You "TIN" a soldering iron?

On Nov 30, 12:12*am, The Daring Dufas
wrote:

you don't solder aluminum. *You might think you are, but no, you're not.

--
Steve Barker

Like I said, I don't know much about soldering. I'm pretty sure the
wire is aluminum and stranded. It is high quality aircraft wire. It is
silver in color. Maybe its some alloy. Anyway, what I'm doing is
working for me. :-)

Hank

* Aircraft wire is silver plated *or tinned copper - and one of the
easiest types of wire to solder - it is "pre-tinned"

The stuff with the Teflon insulation?

TDD-

I think the stuff I use is teflon. It is very smooth and tough. I
bought a big roll of it about 20 years ago at an aircraft Mfg. plant
salvage yard.

Hank