Posted to rec.woodworking
Mike M Mike M is offline

Default Amount of lighting

On Mon, 29 Nov 2010 02:34:08 -0500, Bill wrote:

Concerned that I was getting lazy, I went out and measured my ceiling
joists and other structure carefully and spent my evening with SketchUp!

I am concerned as to how many new 48" (10" wraparound) fixtures to add.
Please see my two jpeg's:

http://web.newsguy.com/MySite/

Putting another light above my virtual bench may make good sense.
However, If I regard my bench area as 10' by 8', then my new pics at my
web site already demonstrate 80 ft^2/6 bulbs = 13.3 ft^2 per bulb!
Don't want to blast my self out. I was thinking of using 32W, 5000K or
6000K fluorescent bulbs.

I would like to try to optimize my lighting? As drawn, the distances of
the lights from the walls are 36" and 24" respectively. Assume the
walls will be white (for decent reflectivity). The floor is concrete.
I'm going to keep the light in front of the subpanel 36" away from it to
satisfy relevant codes (regarding a "free workspace").

I never did this before and I hope to do it right the first time. What
would you change?

Thanks,
Bill

Well task lighting is nice but it doesn't make for a nice work
environment. Get a decent light level for the entire shop then take
on the task lighting.

Mike M