Posted to alt.home.repair
james james is offline

Default 1000 watt generator enough for a typical refrigerator?

"dgk" wrote in message
I'm getting a cheap 1000 watt gasoline generator. Is that sufficient
to power a 16 cubic foot refrigerator/freezer in an emergency? I know
those compressors draw a lot of power when they kick in.

Using a device called watts-up (similar to kill-a-watt), I measured my
refrigerator to draw 23 A when the compressor kicks in. However I don't know
how fast this device samples the current. So there may be a spike higher
than 23A.

Adding some inductor and capacitor may help damp this spike.