Posted to rec.woodworking
Bill[_37_] Bill[_37_] is offline

Default Amount of lighting

tiredofspam wrote:
Nice drawing using skethup. Where did you get the bandsaw ,workbench and
tablesaw? Did you make them yourself or download a library?

Thank you. I downloaded the drillpress, bandsaw and tablesaw models
from the SketchUP 3D Warehouse. I modeled the benches after looking at a
design published by FWW which was presented by Garrett Hack in "Tools &
Shops" (Winter 2009). His bench also has a tool-trough, and other
niceties. I downloaded the vises from 3D Warehouse.

As far as lights, I agree with quartering your layout.

I have boxes that have 3 bulbs. I put four in my hand tool area, None
directly over the bench.
I put them offset to both sides .. to eliminate shadows.

Hmm...At this point I was thinking of putting ceiling lights in front of
me and behind me, to eliminate shadows. Same idea? Perhaps I would be
wasting light illuminating the wall.

I will think more about "quartering" my layout, but I have a garage door
over 1/3 of the space (up to the existing lights), an overhead access
door, and a "medium traffic route" used to help unload groceries, that
doesn't require further illumination. Your comments below about direct
lighting are well-taken.

Thanks,
Bill

I also use
swing lights on all my benches. I find it more helpful to have direct
light where I need it. I find these at garage sales and fix them up.
Sometimes you get a brand new one for $1... All my tools have mounts..
My sanding station, router table, workbench, sanders, scroll saw,

I try to avoid direct overhead lighting knowing my head will block out
the light when bending over. My tablesaw has 2 overhead boxes, one on
each side of the blade and toward the outfeed table to avoid my own shadow.

On 11/29/2010 2:34 AM, Bill wrote:
Concerned that I was getting lazy, I went out and measured my ceiling
joists and other structure carefully and spent my evening with SketchUp!

I am concerned as to how many new 48" (10" wraparound) fixtures to add.
Please see my two jpeg's:

http://web.newsguy.com/MySite/

Putting another light above my virtual bench may make good sense.
However, If I regard my bench area as 10' by 8', then my new pics at my
web site already demonstrate 80 ft^2/6 bulbs = 13.3 ft^2 per bulb! Don't
want to blast my self out. I was thinking of using 32W, 5000K or 6000K
fluorescent bulbs.

I would like to try to optimize my lighting? As drawn, the distances of
the lights from the walls are 36" and 24" respectively. Assume the walls
will be white (for decent reflectivity). The floor is concrete. I'm
going to keep the light in front of the subpanel 36" away from it to
satisfy relevant codes (regarding a "free workspace").

I never did this before and I hope to do it right the first time. What
would you change?

Thanks,
Bill