Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Rich Grise[_3_] Rich Grise[_3_] is offline

Default Metal post

Ted Frater wrote:
Apologies if you founRich Grise wrote:
my thought Ted Frater wrote:
Are there any chemists here?
I ask because im interested to know why water makes it burn so much
hotter/faster etc.
Could it be that oxidising magnesium splits water, ie hydrogen oxide
into its seperate parts? of oxygen and hydrogen?

I think it's just that Mg is such an aggressive reducing agent. I wonder
if anybody's experimented with CO2?

IF it does it might just be a keyto maing a car run on water if the
magnesium acts as a catalyst at its burning temperature..
One lives in hope!!!

This is just too stupid to warrant any kind of response.

Apologies if you found my thoughts stupid.
I have always found it pays to ask 10 questions of which 9 turn out to
be stupid with 1 that leads to a breakthrough to a solution to an
problem that has been insoluable so far.
Finding answers to problems has made me a lot of money over the past 45
yrs. Has anyone tried using magnesium as an anode for splitting water?
If it has a very fast reaction at 1000'c what might happen at say 400 ?
or 200'c.?

Sigh. Don't they teach anybody elementary physics any more? Extracting
hydrogen from water requires more energy input than can ever possibly be
recovered by burning the hydrogen.

It's called "conservation of energy," one of the fundamental "Laws of
Physics."

Hope This Helps!
Rich