Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
RogerN RogerN is offline

Default Single-Phase, at last! (r2e4)

. 3.70...
"RogerN" fired this volley in
:

You
could put a limit switch on the table so that when the machine is in
"Park" or "Tool Change" position it kills the power to spindle and
turns off the coolant. As soon as the program runs and moves it, the
spindle turns on and the coolant, if selected, comes on.

The R2E4 is already set up in the control firmware to kill the spindle if
the machine hits any of the limit stops (all in software, no switches).
However, the spindle won't turn back on when the table is moved from the
limits -- has to be done manually.

The spindle is _logic_ controlled, not "electrically", so there's no
reason why a spindle control would be a big project -- but not on the
existing control system. I'm not ready to disassemble and reassemble the
68K software that runs it. I'd rather just jump to EMC^2 in one step.

LLoyd

Sorry I didn't clarify. I was referring to an additional limit switch
provided by the user that would turn on contactors when deactivated and turn
the contactors back off when activated. Then you position this limit
switch, perhaps with magnets, so that it is activated when the machine is at
the park, tool change, or stop position. The contacts from the contactor or
relay could turn on the run fwd input to the drive if you set it up so the
contact had to be maintained to run the drive. Additional contacts could be
used to operate a coolant motor or solenoid air valve for mist coolant.

RogerN