Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
ted frater ted frater is offline

Default Metal post

Jim Wilkins wrote:
On Nov 28, 5:53 am, Ted Frater wrote:
IF it does it might just be a keyto maing a car run on water if the
magnesium acts as a catalyst at its burning temperature..
One lives in hope!!!

Magnesium isn't a catalyst, it's consumed in the reaction. Platinum
and some 'rare earth' oxides catalyze combustion, as in Coleman
lantern mantles and flammable vapor detectors for boats.

Mg would be more valuable in a rechargeable battery, as would
aluminum, but so far only lithium is safe enough for general use, and
only because embedded computer control is practical for the higher-
performing systems.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aluminium_battery
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water-activated_battery
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sodium-sulfur_battery

I looked into these when I was a chemist, then the Vietnam draft
yanked me into electronics where I stayed.

Are you a product of a "Two Cultures" educational system?

jsw

Hi JSW,
Ive never heard of the "two culture" system, so googled it and CP Snow
gave a lecture on it at Cambridge some time back!
I guess ive been lucky with the education Ive had,
A UK grammar school,a through grounding in the basics.
1 year in art and drama
2 yrs to graduate level aviation engineering,
10 yrs in ethical sales and marketing,
Then I decided to work for myself designing and making applied art
items. Always pushing the boundaries of the work.
Did that for 35 yrs,
then 10 yrs to date in engineering consultancy and troubleshooting.
Does that make sense?
Ive certainly had a great time and done everything ive wanted to.
And still do the applied art work.
Ted.