Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jim Wilkins Jim Wilkins is offline

Default Metal post

On Nov 28, 5:53*am, Ted Frater wrote:
* IF it does it might just be a keyto maing a car run on water if the
magnesium acts as a catalyst at its burning temperature..
One lives in hope!!!

Magnesium isn't a catalyst, it's consumed in the reaction. Platinum
and some 'rare earth' oxides catalyze combustion, as in Coleman
lantern mantles and flammable vapor detectors for boats.

Mg would be more valuable in a rechargeable battery, as would
aluminum, but so far only lithium is safe enough for general use, and
only because embedded computer control is practical for the higher-
performing systems.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aluminium_battery
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water-activated_battery
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sodium-sulfur_battery

I looked into these when I was a chemist, then the Vietnam draft
yanked me into electronics where I stayed.

Are you a product of a "Two Cultures" educational system?

jsw