Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
ted frater ted frater is offline

Default Metal post

Apologies if you founRich Grise wrote:
my thought Ted Frater wrote:
Are there any chemists here?
I ask because im interested to know why water makes it burn so much
hotter/faster etc.
Could it be that oxidising magnesium splits water, ie hydrogen oxide
into its seperate parts? of oxygen and hydrogen?

I think it's just that Mg is such an aggressive reducing agent. I wonder
if anybody's experimented with CO2?

IF it does it might just be a keyto maing a car run on water if the
magnesium acts as a catalyst at its burning temperature..
One lives in hope!!!

This is just too stupid to warrant any kind of response.

Good Luck!
Rich

Apologies if you found my thoughts stupid.
I have always found it pays to ask 10 questions of which 9 turn out to
be stupid with 1 that leads to a breakthrough to a solution to an
problem that has been insoluable so far.
Finding answers to problems has made me a lot of money over the past 45 yrs.
Has anyone tried using magnesium as an anode for splitting water?
If it has a very fast reaction at 1000'c what might happen at say 400 ?
or 200'c.?
Ted
in Dorset
UK.