Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus18541 Ignoramus18541 is offline

Default Metal post

On 2010-11-28, Steve B wrote:
We go on dry lakes that are/were used for strafing and bombing practice. We
are always finding weird pieces of whatnot. For the longest time, we have
been finding a light metal grey bar, about an inch square, and eight inches
long. The other night, we were camping, and tossed a sliver of it on the
fire.

It was magnesium. Good thing we didn't toss the entire bar.

I have a jar of magnesium shavings and I often burn it for kids
entertainment. While, I would say, it is fun to watch, I would not
call it spectacular. I think that your 1x1x8" bar would make a fun
little fire, but nothing beyond this, unless you converted the whole
mass into shavings. Then it would be just a bigger fire.