Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Frozen condensate pipe - how to prevent

On Sat, 27 Nov 2010 11:27:03 -0000, Thomas wrote:

Awoke this morning to no heating due to frozen condensate pipe on new
boiler :-(

Congratulations on the first "frozen condensate drain" posting of the
2010/11 season. B-)

As others have said the drain should be 32mm where there is a chance
of freezing. What can be done?

Lagging inside should mean that the water is warmer when it gets to
the outside so stands less chance of freezing.

Make sure there is a fall on the pipe where it goes through the wall,
so water doesn't sit in that section of pipe. Condensate is only a
dribble not a flow, so it might not clear like a flow would.

Cut the pipe inside and stick a bucket under it. Roughly every kg of
gas burnt produces a kg (1 litre) of water. I'm not sure how 1kg of
LNG equates to cu ft (or m) of gas at appliance pressure. I doubt
you'd get a bucket full of water/day but even if you do it's in the
garage...

--
Cheers
Dave.