Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Medway Handyman[_3_] The Medway Handyman[_3_] is offline

Default Frozen condensate pipe - how to prevent

Thomas wrote:
Hi

Awoke this morning to no heating due to frozen condensate pipe on new
boiler :-(
Boiler is in integral garage with no convenient internal drain, so
condensate pipe runs the length of the garage and exits through wall
with about 2" protruding over drain-pipe drain. Managed to pull about
18" slug of ice out with help of hair drier and all was well.

So, what is the best way to prevent this in future? Pipe is about
20mm but I dont really want to install a larger bore due to the need
for a larger hole through the wall. I'm in two minds about insulation
- there's very little to lag on the outside, but will lagging on the
inside help or hinder? The garage is pretty well insulated and never
anywhere near freezing. I was wondering about inserting a length of
copper tubing or a metal rod up the pipe with the idea that this
would take some of the heat from the garage into the final section of
the pipe where the freezing is starting?

Could you modify something like this for the outside section?
http://www.toolstation.com/shop/p99947

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk