Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Don Foreman Don Foreman is offline

Default trickle battery charger

On Thu, 25 Nov 2010 12:43:26 -0500, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

I had a marine battery. Tried to keep it charged with HF float
charger. Wall wart, coiled cord, alligator clips. The HF float charger
boiled my battery dry, and cost more than I want to remember. I'd
avoid HF. If you simply must use HF, please put it on a lamp timer and
run it an hour a day.

I'm not defending HF's charger since I'm not familiar with it. But
any charger can boil a battery dry if the battery is sulfated.

Automatic chargers rely on battery voltage to determine state of
charge and what current would be appropriate. A sulfated battery will
exhibit lower voltage and fool the charger into overcharging.