Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default trickle battery charger

Pulled all the seasonal batteries and put on a pallet. Went to trickle
charge them and found the little charger dead. After only thirty
years.

Its most similar to this:
http://www.harborfreight.com/2-6-amp...ger-45005.html

I have a large charger for starting. I need a unit for winter tending
and recharging if the lights are left on and a battery goes down. Now,
I've been mostly dissatisfied with horrible freight stuff.

Can anyone suggest an offer like above with a higher quality?

Karl
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Karl Townsend" wrote in message
Pulled all the seasonal batteries and put on a pallet. Went to trickle
charge them and found the little charger dead. After only thirty
years.

Its most similar to this:
http://www.harborfreight.com/2-6-amp...ger-45005.html

I have a large charger for starting. I need a unit for winter tending
and recharging if the lights are left on and a battery goes down. Now,
I've been mostly dissatisfied with horrible freight stuff.

Can anyone suggest an offer like above with a higher quality?

Karl

I inherited one of those big roll around ones like they use in garages. I
don't know how I lived without it. Fast charge, slow charge, jump start, it
will do it all, and not that expensive new.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Karl Townsend wrote:
Pulled all the seasonal batteries and put on a pallet. Went to trickle
charge them and found the little charger dead. After only thirty
years.

Its most similar to this:
http://www.harborfreight.com/2-6-amp...ger-45005.html

I have a large charger for starting. I need a unit for winter tending
and recharging if the lights are left on and a battery goes down. Now,
I've been mostly dissatisfied with horrible freight stuff.

Can anyone suggest an offer like above with a higher quality?

Karl

Battery Minder. You can find them at most auto places. It's an
intelligent charger. You can get them in a few types from wall wart size
up to vehicle mounted.

--
Steve W.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Karl Townsend" wrote in message
Pulled all the seasonal batteries and put on a pallet. Went to trickle
charge them and found the little charger dead. After only thirty
years.

Its most similar to this:
http://www.harborfreight.com/2-6-amp...ger-45005.html

I have a large charger for starting. I need a unit for winter tending
and recharging if the lights are left on and a battery goes down. Now,
I've been mostly dissatisfied with horrible freight stuff.

Can anyone suggest an offer like above with a higher quality?

Karl

http://www.harborfreight.com/automat...ger-42292.html
This Harborfreight charger seems to have pretty good reviews, might be worth
a try for the money. Other than that I've heard the Battery Tender is good.

There is also this on board one:

http://www.harborfreight.com/15-amp-...ner-99857.html

I'm kind of interested in, but for a few more dollars I can buy a Schumacher
on board charger.

RogerN

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I had a marine battery. Tried to keep it charged with HF float
charger. Wall wart, coiled cord, alligator clips. The HF float charger
boiled my battery dry, and cost more than I want to remember. I'd
avoid HF. If you simply must use HF, please put it on a lamp timer and
run it an hour a day.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Karl Townsend" wrote in message
Pulled all the seasonal batteries and put on a pallet. Went to trickle
charge them and found the little charger dead. After only thirty
years.

Its most similar to this:
http://www.harborfreight.com/2-6-amp...ger-45005.html

I have a large charger for starting. I need a unit for winter tending
and recharging if the lights are left on and a battery goes down. Now,
I've been mostly dissatisfied with horrible freight stuff.

Can anyone suggest an offer like above with a higher quality?

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Yep, that's the culprit. Boiled my battery dry.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"RogerN" wrote in message

http://www.harborfreight.com/automat...ger-42292.html
This Harborfreight charger seems to have pretty good reviews, might be
worth
a try for the money. Other than that I've heard the Battery Tender is
good.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I'm very happy with my Deltran Battery Tender Plus, had it 5-6 years now.
Smart charger that charges at 6A until battery voltage gets to a threshold
then charges at constant voltage until current drops to almost nothing to
finish charging the battery, then it floats at a lower voltage to maintain
full charge. The Jr model is 2A, the Plus is 6A max, available all over the
web for about $40. I think they were one of the first companies to offer
this type of battery maintainer but now lots of other brands offer the same
programming. No switches or meters, if those are important to you. I put
it on one battery for a few days or a week, then move it on to the next one
when I remember; never have to worry about overcharging.

-----
Regards,
Carl Ijames

"Karl Townsend" wrote in message
Pulled all the seasonal batteries and put on a pallet. Went to trickle
charge them and found the little charger dead. After only thirty
years.

Its most similar to this:
http://www.harborfreight.com/2-6-amp...ger-45005.html

I have a large charger for starting. I need a unit for winter tending
and recharging if the lights are left on and a battery goes down. Now,
I've been mostly dissatisfied with horrible freight stuff.

Can anyone suggest an offer like above with a higher quality?

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Carl Ijames wrote:
I'm very happy with my Deltran Battery Tender Plus, had it 5-6 years now.
Smart charger that charges at 6A until battery voltage gets to a threshold
then charges at constant voltage until current drops to almost nothing to
finish charging the battery, then it floats at a lower voltage to maintain
full charge. The Jr model is 2A, the Plus is 6A max, available all over the
web for about $40. I think they were one of the first companies to offer
this type of battery maintainer but now lots of other brands offer the same
programming. No switches or meters, if those are important to you. I put
it on one battery for a few days or a week, then move it on to the next one
when I remember; never have to worry about overcharging.

I had a Deltran Battery Tender Jr, the 6-volt model. Bought new, it
never worked.

The green/red indicator lights always lied about what was going on.
Every time it was either doing nothing at all, or else actually draining
my battery, while the happy green light said it was charging.

The generous warranty period was pretty worthless. It had to be shipped
back to Florida, along with payment to Deltran for diagnosis, handling,
return shipping, etc. ... added up to much of the cost of just buying
another one.

After a year, I threw it in the trash. On the morning of trash pickup
day my Dad saw it in the bin at the curb, and brought it back. So I
smashed it real good with a hammer and threw it out again next week.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ok, let me change that to "they've had a lot of good reviews and a few
negative reviews too" :-)

I have been using a couple of the $20 Schumacher chargers from Wal-Mart. I
haven't checked the charging voltage yet but they appear to do OK. I also
have a Deltran Battery Tender Plus. I have bad batteries in my Ford 8N
tractor and in my forklift, I'm wanting to have good float chargers before
investing in new batteries, I don't like to have to replace batteries every
year on equipment that doesn't get used but a few times per year.

I have been playing with Arduino microcontroller boards working toward
making multi-chemistry battery chargers. If I get it going I plan to have
temperature compensation to keep the batteries at the correct float voltage
year around and perhaps charge the batteries to charge voltage once a day or
so to simulate a car being ran every day. Not sure if it would be
beneficial or not but it doesn't take much effort to try or disable.

RogerN

.

"RogerN" wrote in message

http://www.harborfreight.com/automat...ger-42292.html
This Harborfreight charger seems to have pretty good reviews, might be
worth
a try for the money. Other than that I've heard the Battery Tender is
good.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 25 Nov 2010 07:45:11 -0600, Karl Townsend
wrote:

Pulled all the seasonal batteries and put on a pallet. Went to trickle
charge them and found the little charger dead. After only thirty
years.

Its most similar to this:
http://www.harborfreight.com/2-6-amp...ger-45005.html

I have a large charger for starting. I need a unit for winter tending
and recharging if the lights are left on and a battery goes down. Now,
I've been mostly dissatisfied with horrible freight stuff.

Can anyone suggest an offer like above with a higher quality?

Karl

http://www.batterychargers.com/Produ...ame=94026589AL

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
dan dan is offline

Karl Townsend wrote in
rec.crafts.metalworking on Thu, 25 Nov 2010 07:45:11 -0600:

Can anyone suggest an offer like above with a higher quality?

Wall-Mart has a very good three stage 1.5A charger. Made by
Shumacher(sp?). Can be left on all the time.
--

Dan H.
northshore MA.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 25 Nov 2010 12:43:26 -0500, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

I had a marine battery. Tried to keep it charged with HF float
charger. Wall wart, coiled cord, alligator clips. The HF float charger
boiled my battery dry, and cost more than I want to remember. I'd
avoid HF. If you simply must use HF, please put it on a lamp timer and
run it an hour a day.

I'm not defending HF's charger since I'm not familiar with it. But
any charger can boil a battery dry if the battery is sulfated.

Automatic chargers rely on battery voltage to determine state of
charge and what current would be appropriate. A sulfated battery will
exhibit lower voltage and fool the charger into overcharging.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 11/25/2010 7:45 AM, Karl Townsend wrote:
Pulled all the seasonal batteries and put on a pallet. Went to trickle
charge them and found the little charger dead. After only thirty
years.

Its most similar to this:
http://www.harborfreight.com/2-6-amp...ger-45005.html

I have a large charger for starting. I need a unit for winter tending
and recharging if the lights are left on and a battery goes down. Now,
I've been mostly dissatisfied with horrible freight stuff.

Can anyone suggest an offer like above with a higher quality?

Karl

Karl, are you wanting to charge them all in parallel?
If so, I'd look at the DSR Pro series from Schumacher.
They make some nice stuff for the purpose, but might be pricey.
If your batteries are mostly of the same approx size and amperage,

--
I can see 2012 from my front porch
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

If I get my microcontroller float charger working like I hope to, I'm
wanting to make it so it will work with multiple batteries. It should be
able to float charge 4 to 8 12V batteries from 1 charger.

RogerN

Leave an unplugged battery charger connected to lead-acid battery? BetaB4 Home Repair 30 May 24th 09 12:33 AM
trickle charger mm Electronics Repair 9 November 7th 06 08:47 AM
Q. about leaving trickle charger connected in my diesel car jtaylor Metalworking 17 December 10th 05 02:45 PM
No, you all misunderstood - was Q trickle charger in diesel car... jtaylor Metalworking 10 December 9th 05 05:36 PM
Building homemade car trickle charger CWatters Electronics 1 December 14th 03 04:52 PM