Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ian & Hilda Dedic Ian & Hilda Dedic is offline

Default problem with next doors builders and garage walls

On 25/11/2010 19:07, dennis@home wrote:

"Ian & Hilda Dedic" wrote in message

I am right in thinking that pillars in a single breezeblock wall every
6ft or so to support a tiled pitched roof is not over engineered?

They aren't there to support the roof, a single brick thickness will do
it with ease as it does so on many houses.
They are there to stop lateral loads toppling the wall.
I don't see how this could happen if the wall is tied to the house by
the roof, that does depend on how the roof is constructed and there are
no details here.

No it's a completely free standing garage now!

it was semidetached to nextdoors ramshackle garage and the planners
wouldn't let us build a wall across the front to tie our garage to the
house to the house when we applied for planning several years back,
there's a painted marine ply board across the gate to the garden.

the set up was

2 semi houses|____|2 semi garages|____|2 semi houses

and now

2 semi houses|____|our freestanding garage|__|2 semi houses

The tiled roof is supported on rafters across two single breeze block
walls and slopes from the boundary line downwards towards our house.
Hope this explains a bit better

dedics