Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim K[_3_] Jim K[_3_] is offline

Default problem with next doors builders and garage walls

On Nov 25, 7:19 pm, Andy Burns wrote:
Ian & Hilda Dedic wrote:

On 25/11/2010 18:32, Adrian wrote:

Ian& Hilda wrote:

Next doors owners want to cut the pillars which support the breezeblock
walls I need a quick answer on this as I need to persuade him he can't
do this in the morning.

It's quite simple. Unless and until his architect can show you structural
calculations to prove that it won't, then all bets are off.

I was hoping to have some alternative suggestions for
construction, so that I appeared halfway reasonable

Preventing him to hacking you garage about *is* being reasonable.

but as it is our
existing structure, even if the pillars are over the boundary (which
they might be by about 2 inches)

mmm how far do they project from the face of the wall all told?

(If he is prepared to rebuild your garage if he knocks it down, let
his builders (try and) take the 2" off the pillars..;)

Ahh that might complicate things, how long has it been there, and did
you have permission for it to extend there?

OP says previously a semi detached garage - so this spine wall was
holding both up? seems more than fair that he only has a 2" projection
of piers as OP's land has rest of whole wall ??!!

Jim K