Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ian & Hilda Dedic Ian & Hilda Dedic is offline

Default problem with next doors builders and garage walls

On 25/11/2010 18:32, Adrian wrote:
Ian& Hilda gurgled happily, sounding
much like they were saying:

Next doors owners want to cut the pillars which support the breezeblock
walls back to flush with the outside of our garage (there are 4 pillars
about 6ft apart along the outside wall of our garage so the inside of
our garage has flush walls).

I believe that cutting these pillars will weaken the wall structure and
make the garage fall down.

I need a quick answer on this as I need to persuade him he can't do this
in the morning.

It's quite simple. Unless and until his architect can show you structural
calculations to prove that it won't, then all bets are off.

Thanks for that, I was hoping to have some alternative suggestions for
construction, so that I appeared halfway reasonable, but as it is our
existing structure, even if the pillars are over the boundary (which
they might be by about 2 inches) although they were holding up his
ramshackle garage originally I'm assuming he can't touch it without our
express say so.

He has offered to get his builders to screed and paint the part of the
garage wall which was inside their old garage,and is now therefore
outside, for us so I don't want to get into a big dispute with him but I
don't want to presented with a fait accompli and therefore unstable
garage when I get home tomorrow.

I am right in thinking that pillars in a single breezeblock wall every
6ft or so to support a tiled pitched roof is not over engineered?

dedics