Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Green Deal - new jobs insulating 3.5 million homes.

On Thu, 25 Nov 2010 08:13:43 -0800 (PST), js.b1 wrote:

Actually 50mm Celotex does very nicely indeed if you look at the
calcs.

I've not done the numbers but I'm not at all surprised. Did the end
wall of the lads bedroom with 25mm bonded to plasterboard as it was
(probably still is behind the lining) a damp solid external wall.
Only two sheets but it made a tremendous difference to the comfort in
the room.

A house insulated with 50mm Celotex on the inside needs only a f@rt
lighting every few hours to keep warm.

I like that idea. 4,000l of oil a year costs a lot. I want to line
every square inch of the external walls, including the bits between
the floors. Install a large heat bank with inputs from woodburner and
solar thermal and the oil boiler and decent sized immersion heaters
as well.

I findrt it really stupid that the houses with any solid walls (not just
entirely solid wall) are not getting internal insulation grants.

I agree and not purely because I'd benefit from such a grant. But it
takes a compartively long time and is very disruptive compared to
squirting something into a cavity... The former is expensive the
latter cheap.

--
Cheers
Dave.