Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default The Gas Man Cameth ...

Man at B&Q wrote:
On Nov 24, 4:55 pm, Appelation Controlee wrote:
On Wed, 24 Nov 2010 16:38:39 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Liquorice"

wrote:
On Wed, 24 Nov 2010 15:33:52 +0000, Appelation Controlee wrote:
We really don't want to contemplate having a new boiler, as we hope to
sell and move from here early next year.
Hum, with a boiler that old it's going to knock a few grand off the
price of the house or at least give any buyers a reason for making
reduced offers. It's also not a good selling point, where as a new
boiler is...
Have a couple of cents...

Point taken, but it's a floor-standing beastie with a huge flue
terminal. The impact on the kitchen of having such work done would be
really major. e.g. I can't visualise such a job being done without
removing the worktop that bridges the boiler, and that also carries
the kitchen sink.

The new occupants will probably want to remodel it all anyway. If
they've any sense they will appreciate it being left as it is.

Stupid previous owner of our hoouse replaced a huge cast iron floor
standing lump of a boiler like for like just before selling the house.
It went for scrap within 6 months.

This is true except that it is used as a bargaiing point when
negotiating teh proce. Happened to me when selling mums house.

'Boiler isn't certificated, 5000 off my offer' 'the boiler is however
safe, if old and inefficient, **** off'

Basically you want the house to be functional and complete. I.e. it pays
to put in a new **** kitchen, even if you know the whole lot will be
ripped out and skipped within 6 weeks anyway.

I remember wryly shredding the damp and rot guarantees after I had
demolished the damp rotten shell of this house.

MBQ