Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Medway Handyman[_3_] The Medway Handyman[_3_] is offline

Default Is this drill working properly? Makita 8391

John Rumm wrote:
On 22/11/2010 14:10, David Robinson wrote:

I bought this drill...

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/83834/...-Accessory-Kit

(but for £100 - don't know why Screwfix made that price up!)

I'm concerned the clutch (or whatever it is that lets the drive slip)
isn't quite right. On the screw driver setting, even at the _highest_
torque setting, I can stop the shaft turning just by holding the
chuck with my hand. On the drill setting, the clutch has no effect
(i.e. the

Never thought to actually try this, but I just did on my Makita 8443D,
and yes I can stop it on setting 16. Its got a fairly strong tug
though at that setting. I would guess a 2" 10 gauge twinthread screw
into softwood without a pilot hole would be about the limit of the
clutch on the highest setting.

drill turns unless it can't - it doesn't intentionally slip). The gap

Nope, in drill or hammer mode it will twist your wrist off instead!

Thinking about it, I only really use my 14.4v Mak in either drill or hammer
mode. I never really use the torque settings, the almost instant motor stop
& using the drill in 'bursts' works for me.

I also have a Makita DF010DSE Pencil Drill Driver which has 21 torque
settings where the motor actually 'stops' at the required setting. Use that
mainly for smaller screws, flat pack assembly etc. The torque settings are
so precise you can do up screws into plastic back boxes without cracking the
plastic.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk