Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tim Wescott Tim Wescott is offline

Default SK hand tool, sadness and silliness abounds

On 11/21/2010 07:19 PM, Jon Elson wrote:
Ignoramus16986 wrote:

Much of the Chinese industrial success is based on two factors, one is
that their workforce agrees to work for little pay in appalling
conditions, and another, that they are willing to trash their
environment in order to keep that workforce employed.
I personally expect that degradation of their environment will be a
strong limiting factor in their future growth as a nation.

The S**T HAS to hit the fan at some time. I can't believe the people
just took it when the poisoned milk catastrophe hit, or all the schools
fell down in a medium earthquake. Eventually, there will be some similar
catastrophe and the people WON'T take it lying down. The US experienced
unbelievable growth after WW-II, and we are now seeing that wasn't
sustainable, the growth in China seems even more unsustainable, and it
is going to be a HELL of a shock when the bubble pops.

Overall I think they're still seeing their standard of living rise,
which does a mighty good job of papering over the cracks. But the
government over there is getting a lot more aggressive about jailing
dissidents (you should check out what they're doing to their Nobel peace
prize winner), and to them, someone who complains about milk or
collapsing schools is a "dissident".

When they fall, they're going to fall hard. When that happens, there's
going to be a lot of ****ed and confused people, many of them with guns
and tanks. Oh boy! Let's hope they keep them all pointed inwards.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services