Brian in Vancouver, BC

Default Aligning jointer knives with magnets

I have had my jointer for about 3 months now and have not yet had to change
the blades. When do you decide it's time to make a change (replace/flip
them)? About how much wood does a blade handle (feet of material)? I
realize that the hardness of the material will make a difference. I am
using Ulmo (sp?) which is softer than maple I believe. Do I look for
certain marks or shininess on the surface?

Brian